Microsoft - Amazing Place to Learn and Grow Professionally | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Amazing Place to Learn and Grow Professionally"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Connections, Very very smart colleagues, opportunities to work in a variety of discipline over a quick period of time to learn other parts of the business. Resources and funding are outstanding and job security is very high.

Cons

Can be quite political since everyone is so qualified. Work hours are intense, and you can't really disconnect even when you're gone. Stigma attached to Microsoft can be a downside in certain areas.

Advice to Management

Need to do more to keep young talent around. Young talent all bails within 3-5 years to pursue higher paying/higher ranking positions elsewhere. Microsoft should recognize this earlier and promote people faster.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Post-BillG Microsoft is great employment - for HR and Lawyers"

Former Employee - Lead+ Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Lead+ Program Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Microsoft is the new government job with better pay, better benefits, nicer offices, free starbucks coffee, flexible hours and fewer hours overall ... as long as you don't actually want to build software that serves a purpose, or make it work for customers. If you really just don't care about software or customers, this is the software company for you.

Microsoft today is an exercise in political correctness run amok, with leaders desperate for approval and well-sold (note I did not say GOOD) ideas and happy to throw money at them. If you understand that kind of environment and want to either run at the new-style Brass Ring or simply surf along the edges - this is the company for you. Go for it. If you can sell it, Ballmer will buy it. (If you need a primer, buy a copy of "Big Blues, the unmaking of IBM".)

Now, if you are a marketer and believe that actually building product is "someone else's problem" then this is absolutely the right place for you. Because Mr. Ballmer and all of his directs - believe the same thing. (unfortunately all the "someone else's" left with Bill). It's also a fantastic place for HR and PR, with it's high turnover and need to pretend to be an upscale software company and a great place for technical people to work, and nirvana for corporate lawyers. Check out the close links between Microsoft and Odell Guyton - the lawyer trying hardest to make "ethics" mean "legal compliance". (ie, if you're not actually breaking a law - right now, exactly - it must be ethical, right?)

To recap, MS is a great place for anyone in the business of PRETENDING to build software. Sad but true.

Cons

What? You actually have to build the things you advertise and make them work?

If you're a technologist and can't get hired directly into a research group - you really don't want to work for Microsoft today. Microsoft has suffered horribly since Ballmer took over. He's a marketer. He was always the guy who'd come stomping down the hallway going "I WANT WHAT I WANT". We'd explain that the products couldn't actually do that and the reaction would be along the lines of "AND WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?" If it was important, we'd take the technical facts to Bill, and Bill would intervene and shut him down. It was a decent balance of power. Ballmer's drive to do the impossible would get Bill to do things he wasn't inclined to do, but only if they were POSSIBLE. Yes, there was a time when I loved Microsoft and worked with great enthusiasm in that niche of the "not technically impossible". I did a lot of risky things knowing that I could always count on Bill to rein things in when I could prove they weren't technically possible, or so difficult they simply weren't practical.

But Bill is gone now. Since taking over, Ballmer has promoted other similarly-minded marketers around him, so now he's completely cocooned in layers of marketing fluff with absolutely no basis in reality. He doesn't know the difference between an actual product and a picture of a product. And just to improve the whole customer-focus and employee-focus thing - he's imported old IBM (Kevin Johson) and legacy Wal-Mart (Kevin Turner).

The company used to be better and simpler. Everything asking for millions of $$ went in front of Bill, who would look skeptically at everything at a technical level and go "um, I don't understand how this actually gets built at all, never mind on time or on budget. SHOW ME. CONVINCE ME." People dreaded Bill's reviews but he weeded out the crap and he fired the liers. Ballmer's a marketer. He believes the crap and promotes the liers.

After 8 years of Ballmer, you get Vista, Office 7, and Yukon (SQL2005) ... a suite of products that took 5-6 YEARS to release and on seeing them, users are waiting for the next releases on the feeble hope that they'll be better.

If you recognize this environment and you know how to manipulate it - you'll be in your element. But if you wanted to build software or do something positive, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Bring back the harsh technology reviews (and the people who could do them). Let the managers and marketers lie. Then take every $$ they put on their slides and put it through review, and just fire the people who clearly didn't even try. You can start with the people who didn't even hire staff for projects they never intended to even start. Yes, it's that bad.

"A happy Microsoftie"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

The people. I have interviewed at more than 10 top tech companies and the openness and level of collaboration within Microsoft are second to none. The par is set pretty high for hiring and it shows. I have met and worked with some of the smartest and most talented people that I have ever experienced working at Microsoft. In addition to great peers, I have found that people in senior roles are always happy and willing to share with you their experiences and give advice when you ask, thus creating a very open and "warm" work environment. These things, in my opinion, create for a truly world-class work environment.

Cons

Microsoft is a huge company. Getting things changed is feels like it is nearly impossible. In addition, sometimes just finding the proper resource is difficult simply because of how large the company is. I often feel like Microsoft doesn't value or recognize talent as much as it used to and that seniority is the key to success within the company. This does not sit well with me since it seems like the key to job growth within the company is stamina and endurance rather than truly brilliant work. I was really hoping for more of a meritocracy within the company.

Advice to Management

Look for talent within the company and look to some of the younger employees for that talent. I know a lot of younger employees who have left Microsoft simply because they didn't feel as though they were appreciated and on their way to bigger and better things.