Microsoft - Good place to work | Glassdoor

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of resources (people, supplies, opportunities). Managers have in their commitments to support employee career development, they take it seriously. (Not all managers are good people managers, but at least it's in their commitments and is sanctioned from high.) Fist pounding on a table is taken as a sign of passion, but it has to be in the spirit of moving teams forward and in the interests of the company. (It's not for the sake of power plays or belittling.)

Cons

You have to move up in your career, or move out. Lateral moves within a certain time period of any promotions are fine, but past that you have to continue up the ladder, even if really you just want to try different things. Although a big company, moving around from place to place is very difficult without sponsorship.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the current performance system. It doesn't work. Comparing me to my peers, when I don't even know who I'm being compared against, is working toward the wrong target. Help me achieve my goals---quit comparing me to others who are NOT doing like work.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Guess I Got Stuck in One of the 'Bad' Teams (Contractor POV)"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

1) Leaving at the end of the day.
    2) Development of thick skin.

Cons

1) Machiavellian levels of gamesmanship and in-fighting.
    Always thought people who complained of others 'setting them up to fail' were being melodramatic. Now I have seen it with my own eyes - twice from someone at the Director level. Made my job as a Project Manager three times as hard as it should have been trying to smooth things over with (rightfully) defensive and wary co-workers.

2) Becoming de-skilled is a surprising, genuine risk.
    MS puts you where they want to, regardless of the position you thought you signed up for. The tools used in certain departments are in-house only.

Advice to Management

1) In the year I was there, I never heard anyone refer to the customer. This needs to change. MS doesn't exist without the customer.

2) Stop trying to make Microsoft sexy or cutting edge. MS = UPS and that's OK. Own it and it becomes cool - but if and only if you back it up with genuinely trustworthy and reliable products. MS is capable of this!

2. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Had a great opportunity for career growth and make money.

Cons

Since I started it became more and more difficult to innovate and take risks. Significant increase in burocracy

Advice to Management

As in any company, survival of the fittest