Microsoft - Fast paced business with lots of resources driving for integrity and market share | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Fast paced business with lots of resources driving for integrity and market share"

Former Employee - Technical Lead
Former Employee - Technical Lead

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company puts a lot of effort into making sure the employee is trained in all the necessary training that drives positive company image, integrity and business success.
The environment is positive and they offer free drinks and great lunch options.

Cons

It is very easy to get sucked into "Microsoft is the best and only solution", while there are many solutions that other companies have that are really really good.
Microsoft is a very big organization and the entire org does not turn on a dime anymore. However, things to change quickly when leadership pushes the company in one direction or another. In 4 years I had 8 different offices in 5 different buildings.
The review system pits you against your peers in a way that creates unhealthy competition at times.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Overall a positive experience"

Pros

Insurance, smart people, breadth of product offerings, ability to work remote

Cons

Getting way too beauracratic, takes too long to get decisions made, programs launch before they are ready and customer/partner sat goes down as a result

Advice to Management

Simplify, simplify, simplify. Become less focused on scorecard metrics and more focused on the customers and partners.

2. "Love the technology and the peers!"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The technology is awesome! There are few employers who can offer this type of opportunity. Then there are the people that you work with - outstanding. In the years that I have been at Microsoft (currently employed there) my peers have been engaging, intelligent, passionate, and fun. I have learned so much.

Combined - This has the makings of a job I could love - you know one of those jobs that doesn't even feel like work.

Cons

Politics and management.

I can't emphasize enough that these are CONS! The good managers that I have had have been OUTSTANDING - but they are rare. The constant re-orgs ensure that you won't hold on to any manager for long. In some cases these "bad managers" are really just terrible at what they do - more often it is a politics problem.

The politics are horrifying. There is a vicious game of he said/she said, fear based top down executive management style, and constantly being tasked with the impossible. (In Microsoft speak - Program Manager means not a SDE or SDET)