Microsoft - It's been an amazing ride. So many opportunities to make massive impact on the world of computing. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"It's been an amazing ride. So many opportunities to make massive impact on the world of computing."

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

So many different products to choose from equals tons of opportunity to grow your career all within the safety of a single massive company. Great benefits especially for families or folks planning to have kids. Largely up to you to decide what to work on and when to work on it. AMAZING people to work with and learn form.

Cons

Design is largely driven by PM, so if you're not a PM this can be frustrating (this varies greatly depending on team and individuals though, some are wonderful). Depending on team dynamics the review process can be based heavily on politics and popularity rather than quality of work or business impact. Extremely difficult to get high quality designs pushed through into shipping code due to unusually constrained resources for such a RICH company.

Advice to Management

Spend more money on your people! You make BILLIONS... give leads more budget to take their people out for drinks and to kick back. They deserve it. Throw away the forced curve review and actually trust leads to evaluate their people freely, ya know, since they're the ones that actually know them personally. Hire more developers so we can ship products faster and at a higher quality bar.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Overall a positive experience"

Pros

Insurance, smart people, breadth of product offerings, ability to work remote

Cons

Getting way too beauracratic, takes too long to get decisions made, programs launch before they are ready and customer/partner sat goes down as a result

Advice to Management

Simplify, simplify, simplify. Become less focused on scorecard metrics and more focused on the customers and partners.

2. "Love the technology and the peers!"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The technology is awesome! There are few employers who can offer this type of opportunity. Then there are the people that you work with - outstanding. In the years that I have been at Microsoft (currently employed there) my peers have been engaging, intelligent, passionate, and fun. I have learned so much.

Combined - This has the makings of a job I could love - you know one of those jobs that doesn't even feel like work.

Cons

Politics and management.

I can't emphasize enough that these are CONS! The good managers that I have had have been OUTSTANDING - but they are rare. The constant re-orgs ensure that you won't hold on to any manager for long. In some cases these "bad managers" are really just terrible at what they do - more often it is a politics problem.

The politics are horrifying. There is a vicious game of he said/she said, fear based top down executive management style, and constantly being tasked with the impossible. (In Microsoft speak - Program Manager means not a SDE or SDET)