Microsoft - Overall I had a positive experience. The work experience gained is invaluable. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Overall I had a positive experience. The work experience gained is invaluable."

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is large and diverse, meaning that you have a lot of opportunity to work on what you really like, all the while maintaining the same benefits and compensation.

Cons

One downside to Microsoft could be that it is a large company. If someone prefers a small feel, Microsoft does not offer this.

Advice to Management

The stack rank system is self destructive. I have heard it is being phased out, and I believe that this will minimize internal competition.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Good Career Opportunities, Smart People, Bad Review System"

Current Employee - Dev Lead
    Current Employee - Dev Lead

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Work life balance is good and respected as long as you have management that respects it. There are plenty of smart people around. Lots of options in terms of the technologies and domains you want to work in (i.e. can get variety of experience without leaving company).
    Hierarchical structure allows career growth.

Cons

Review system with the 1-5 leaves no wiggle room for individual situations and encourages no group collaboration. Hierarchical structure also creates too much unnecessary middle management. Processes slow down development.

Advice to Management

Change the review system

2. "Constantly learning"

Current Employee - Principal Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You're always around smart people, and always have access and exposure to cutting-edge technologies.

Cons

The stack-ranking review system greatly penalizes strong teams, and does not reward collaboration.