Microsoft - Manager Owns Your Career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Manager Owns Your Career"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Microsoft has Great Pay and Health Benefits. You get to work with technical smart people and get to work with the latest Microsoft software and technologies.

Cons

Horrible review system. Demoralizing to the workforce. Compete and backstab your own coworkers. Everything is great until you get a manager who you are not buddies with.

Advice to Management

Get rid of stack ranking and meeting the curve. Stop cutting great benefits and getting rid of older employees with years of experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Mostly good, learned a ton and furthered my career. However, times have changed and you must be vigilant."

Former Employee - Techninal Account Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Techninal Account Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Learned many products, and worked with more than 25 Fortune 500 companies during my tenure. Nothing prepares you for a product like supporting it, and access to the internal tools and products really gives you a heads up. You can move into many different areas of the company and travel to customers. Support for learning and certification.

Cons

You are stack ranked against your peers, and even doing your job is not enough these days. I was recently let go for "performance" when I had met all of my goals. I grew my accounts by over 30% this last year, and had great customer feedback. However, according to mgmt., I was still below my peers, and received a terrible review without a lot of concrete data to back it up. They are hiring a lot of people straight out of college, and replacing people like me who had over 15 years with the company. Outperforming your peers may also not be enough, you must have good relationships with mgmt. to excel.

Advice to Management

I have seen over 50 friends of mine be managed out of the company, or fired for similar "performance" issues as mine. It will erode the foundation of the company in my opinion and while I realize Microsoft is a business, and that bringing younger cheaper employees in is good for the bottom-line now, it will mean the experience which Microsoft brought to the table will be diluted, and customers will start to figure this out over the years. Some already have.

2. "Great company now taking things on the chin. Some is self imposed..."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Still great healthcare benefits even though employee contribution has changed to be more expensive.

Cons

Not as agile as it used to be. More reactive to what competitors are doing than being innovative.

Advice to Management

Listen to various levels of management not just CVPs. Long time employees have suggestions to offer.