Microsoft - A good start from Microsoft | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"A good start from Microsoft"

Current Intern - Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)
Current Intern - Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (More than 5 years)

Pros

I don't know much about Microsoft, but know Microsoft Research Asia. As a industrial lab, we have freedom and support to do great research, both for improving products directly or long term purpose. The atmosphere is creative.

Cons

As a industrial lab, Microsoft Research Asia has high standard facility but less students compared to university. Researchers have to be accustomed to do experiments most of the time.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Great place for family-oriented people"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Microsoft is a great place for people who enjoys family life and work-life balance. Also for people like me, stability and long-term business is a bug plus.

Cons

can't complain about anything really. What others deem the biggest cons of Microsoft (the internal conflict) I see as a necessary price to pay for diversity.

"Dead End"

Former Contractor - Senior Consultant
    Former Contractor - Senior Consultant

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The paychecks don't bounce. Can't really say anything good at all about the experience.

Cons

Frozen, ossified, standards-driven process-heavy company, internal tools that are more work than the projects. Typical week is 60 hours, of which 20 are recurring meetings, and after impromptu meetings and wrestling with processes, a developer is lucky to get in 4 hours a week doing actual work. Stack ranking creates paranoid atmosphere like a crack house, hidden fiefdom politics feels like effort doesn't matter, people get fired unexpectedly and with no indication they're not doing well.

Advice to Management

Stop the interruption. No meetings except as actually needed. Eliminate checkin system dump the management fads. Abandon whiteboard interviews. If an IC has a good idea, listen to him instead of firing him for making his manager look bad. Recall what made the company great 25 years ago.