Microsoft - Great people and company Poor Management decisions | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great people and company Poor Management decisions"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When you have a good team and a great manager, one of the best places to work in the world. Amazing benefits and job security. There are many challenging products, and with the right teams, great recognition.

Cons

If you have a poor team, or a poor manager, things can be rough. Slow promotions, mediocre reviews, favoritism, the grind. all of the worst things of software development.

Advice to Management

Find people who are dedicated to understanding who their employees are what drives them, and cultivating them. Do not force someone into a position due to business needs. More good people have left MSFT due to management than due to better oppertunities

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Great contract experience as "A—""

Former Contractor - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The team was excellent to work with everyone was on the same page and focused on end results. There were numerous product launches and worldwide events that I got to manage and they even sent me to the events so it was a good role for a contract job. I was given a lot of independence and was not micromanaged, however I hear that is not the norm.

Cons

Separation of Sales and Business Group (BG) made marketing efforts challenging at times. the 100 days off was very difficult (specific to Microsoft in Washington State thus the "A—"). Would prefer a "V—" next round. Often FTEs were dismissive of contractors. The reviews that talk about the back biting are spot on in a few cases but fortunately were not true for me!

Advice to Management

Contractors are not advanced per se.

2. "Great company to work for but there is a lot of politics"

Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, good work life balance, good salary.

Cons

Performance feedback system is not fair.
    Lot of avg performers get promoted based on their affiliation with senior mgmt.
    It can take long time to realize a change in industry trends and shift gears in that direction.

Advice to Management

Change the performance review system.
    Use the huge cash pile to take risks into new markets.
    Fire execs who don't show results every year.