"Technical Account Manager"

5.0
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Gurgaon, Haryana

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The opportunity to work with people smarter than me. The projects and technology under development always inspire me. Almost every event I’ve gone to has had me come away wanting to look into some other cool technology and thinking of the ways it can change the world. A real career path of whatever you want to be. Chance to change projects whenever I want. During my interviews, many people were quite open with me: they get bored with a project eventually and want to switch after two years or so. Microsoft’s culture easily allows this. Compete with Google. Google needs some real competition. Just as Firefox lit a fire under the IE team, MS needs to light a fire under Google. The benefits are awesome. They truly treat you well. They are extremely open on telecommuting. How many companies can you work at where your stuff affects so many people? There aren’t that many… The challenge. I love challenges. I love learning new things, and working hard to solve problems. Challenges are how you grow.

Cons

Environments vary depending on where and for whom you work. One of the most common complaints are the review rankings which in one form or another exist. They are said to have ended but they do continue in the background. Every organization, regardless of results, is required to identify a given percentage of employees to receive an unsatisfactory performance rating.. This held true for those organizations that excelled and those that failed. One would think failing organizations would be penalized requiring a higher percentage of unsatisfactory ratings, but they were not. Go in eyes wide open realizing your performance is measured relative to your peers.

Continue reading
  1. "Great company to work at"

5.0
    Current Employee - Program Manager II

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a great culture, respects employees.

Cons

Tends to have a lot of folks that have been there their whole lives and there are some old school ideas.

"Thoughts after 10 years...."

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop. 2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice. 3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies. Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Microsoft.