Microsoft - Great perks, bland project | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great perks, bland project"

Former Intern - Hardware Engineer in Redmond, WA
Former Intern - Hardware Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented and fun group to work in. Help was always available, and most were very friendly. The intern event was incredible. Microsoft puts a lot of value in making sure its interns are happy.

Cons

The project was mundane and far below what should have been given to a potential full-time employee. This ruined the experience for me. I left the company having no idea what I would really be doing for them.

Advice to Management

Before hiring an intern, make sure there is an interesting project they could work on.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Super smart people always help challenge you"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Constantly working with smart people, real drive to learn and push yourself, get to be on a team that is really making an impact

Cons

Work life balance is horrible, you have to take a very hard stance and while it shouldn't inhibit your job trajectory (and they say it won't) it does due to our calibration process.

Very difficult to change job functions. If you start in marketing very few people move out of marketing, etc.

Advice to Management

Calibration system needs to be changed, you are pitting your teammates against each other by forcing a curve.

2. "13 years of mental torture, extremely bad culture, managers can manipulate but not manage"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours, good benefits, kind of ok pay rate.

Cons

Extremely bad culture, many leads think more about promotions and career rather than project itself, many of test lead don't have technical expertize to understand the technology, write annual reviews based on impression instead of technical expertise, some level of dominant immigrant mentally too. vague commitments, vague performance evaluation, bad work life balance, had seen working e-mails from one of my leads at midnight and at 6:30 am,
    dev leads tend to influence test leads, some leads don't care if employee has relevant technical expertise for the project or not, they just assign it expecting the employee to learn by himself, if he fails it is reflected in the review, and so on ...

Advice to Management

make sure when open project that you have the engineers with relevant technical expertise ...
    investigate politics between employees which affects the quality of the work ...