Microsoft - Love the company, hate the model | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Love the company, hate the model"

Current Employee - Time Zone Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Time Zone Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move into new areas. Never ending line of products of services to work on. Literally A to Z in places to take your career. The culture outside of the review model is fun and hard working, there is still a lot of pride and very smart people.

Cons

I've been in leadership at MS for 11 years. I started in the product groups for the first half of my career and have been in various support teams the second half. I've watched the review model slowly erode our culture and people. It looks great on paper, but if it's really so effective why doesn't it apply to Sr. Leadership? Why is it that direct manager is still on the top reasons people leave MS?

Advice to Management

if you really want to calibrate people, teach your M1 and M2 managers how to lead. A forced curve is a broad stroke that applies to leading by the lowest common denominator. If you teach leaders how to differentiate, and start looking at leadership as a discipline, there might be still be hope. Invest in your leaders and really TEACH them how to lead and you won't need a forced curve. In 12 yrs at MS I have yet to meet one leader or employee that thinks our review model makes sense. The current system is the worse of the lot and countless smart people are caught up in it and leave. This failure lands squarely on our leadership and rolling out new review models every couple of years will continue to put the focus in the wrong direction. IC's are not the issue, teaching leaders to manage and lead is.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work and start your career. Good benefits, lots of projects and overall very positive culture. Seattle is also a great city, though you'll probably be in Redmond which is a bit far.

Cons

Redmond is far from the city which means you'll either live in the burbs or incur a commute every day. There's not a lot of non-MS tech in Seattle so it's easy to live in a bubble

2. "SDET Intern MSFT"

Current Intern - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, free soda, very nice people

Cons

The company has no taste - Jobs