Microsoft - Great people working to make massive shift happen quickly | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great people working to make massive shift happen quickly"

Current Employee - General Manager
Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love the opportunity to work with some of the smartest people around - I do lots of work overseas and our local hires in key markets represent the very best talent, hands-down.

The ability to do my work when/where I am best able to be productive - in over 10 years at the company, I've never been asked, "where are you?" or "why aren't you here in the office?". At the same time, people don't abuse the privilege and there's plenty of opportunity to collaborate face-to-face.

Benefits are incredibly generous, even with recent cost-sharing on health insurance

Cons

The size of the company requires everyone to maintain vigilance on staying nimble and fast moving, while finding opportunities to simplify our approaches, wherever possible.

Microsoft continues to be a very Redmond-centric company, despite decades of global growth.

Advice to Management

Identify CEO's successor and lock on future strategy as quickly as possible

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Great company, terrible management"

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great talented people in most pockets of the business.

The benefits are among the best in the industry, although the quality is gradually decreasing.

Really nice campus in Redmond and modern offices in premier locations in international countries.

Very diverse workforce with huge international presence.

Cons

The culture is very stifling and politically motivated. Extremely bureaucratic with all decisions driven by few people inside closed doors. Management says to voice opinions, but if you don't sing to their tune, then you will see the result in the infamous stack ranking.

The managers have too much power to game the system of year end reviews. Have seen multiple people take advantage of the system by going out shopping with manager after work, socializing in company events and then getting high rating even though they have not been able to perform their core work efficiently.

The culture fosters distrust among colleagues. For example, even if the manager is not present in a meeting, words gets to the manager somehow even after you made a comment and caveated it by saying that this discussion is strictly inside the meeting room only.

The management tries to manage by keeping informational silos with the employees and acts arbitrarily to do what is advantageous to them. For example, I have been in groups where promotions were never shared and kept a secret. If management wants to give you a good rating, they will share the feedback you have got from your business partners.If the management wants to give you a bad rating, then they will say that the policy is not to share the feedback.

The company will try to hire you down if you are coming from other company. The overall compensation is not good compared to many other companies, especially since they hire you in a lower position. On top of that, management does not give recognition to your past skills and you basically start afresh.

Overall, people who pays 80% weight on politicking and 20% on actual value added work will do good. If not, you will find the culture very negative. At the end of the day, the work needs to be done and the company has a huge pool of vendors for that.

Note: All groups are not bad places to work for. There are some good groups and not so good ones. The above observations are some common themes based on working across multiple groups.

Advice to Management

None. I am sure that the Management has got advice from many people over many years.

2. "Too many meetings"

Former Contractor - User Experience/UI Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - User Experience/UI Designer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They have the resources to get things done - should they decide to do something

Cons

Too many meetings - hard to make any decisions

Advice to Management

Reduce the amount of meetings; hire the contractors to be full-time employees. Yes, that means you will have to pay benefits. But projects are hard to complete if people keep changing.