Microsoft - Good, not great company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Good, not great company"

Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Total compensation, including benefits, were very good
I was able to innovate and get things done in my own style, but was rarely thanked by the company - only my external partners

Cons

Every day was like ground hogs day. You scratch and claw and spend obscene hours working on a PowerPoint deck in order to get funding or a headcount for a project. Once approved, if the manager who approved it moves on, the new one moves in and questions everything. It's as if the proper thing to do is join a new team, assume everyone sucks so try to get them to move on (or worse, fire them) so that you can build your own team of yes-men that try to re-invent the job only to try the same things that failed years earlier.

The stack-rank review system was a disaster and made enemies within teams

Many of the best people left. I don't know anyone that still works at MS that isn't looking to leave (this is a Seattle-Redmond area comment)

Advice to Management

Instill in middle management that their employees are people, who are good and smart instead of assuming they are dead weight. Until that attitude changes, no amount of money could get me to back to MS, and I was a hi-po, great and dedicated employee for almost 15 years

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Good, but definite golden handcuffs with benefits and salary"

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Even with changes to Benefits, still better than many out there
    Work flexibility is HUGE - ability to work from home and/or adjust hours is a huge benefit
    Compensation is high - don't believe people who have issues with comp there - when you add benefits/stock/bonus potential, the comp is strong in comparison to rest of Seattle market.
    I was able to move into a new job and learn it from scratch fairly easily - if you're smart, you can do this well here.

Cons

Working cross org is next to impossible.
    Lots of people working really hard on things that they don't need to - because orgs don't talk, you can have teams working on the same thing, or driving work that will lead to low revenue. It can be very frustrating for that reason.
    The higher you move up in HR, the more political it gets - more about show than actual work.
    SMSG HR is all about scorecards and extremely large powerpoint presentations.

Advice to Management

SMSG HR focuses on crazy metrics that don't move the business forward. Rather than living and breathing stats on a scorecard and delivering work from the center that your orgs don't need, allow HR to have their creativity back.

2. "Technology only company"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Good technology. Good process to develop technology. Good benefits.

Cons

Very bad product planning. Only way to get good feature through is if Apply or Google have launched competing products.

Performance review system drive some good people away. Especially stack ranking. Due to stack ranking, teams tends to develop "unbiased" performance evaluation criteria that don't help delivering good software.

Advice to Management

In Microsoft, only CEO is accountable for delivering good product, and all other people are accountable for their team's politics. So, it is very important to get a CEO that understand product strategy.