Microsoft - I was one of the lucky few interns to feel like I was working at a startup with the aim of learning and not making $$$ | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"I was one of the lucky few interns to feel like I was working at a startup with the aim of learning and not making $$$"

Former Intern - Explore Intern (Rotation Program) in Seattle, WA
Former Intern - Explore Intern (Rotation Program) in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great intern program, GREAT pay, supportive team structure, they spoil you like crazy, beautiful location (Seattle), LOTS of design flexibility with your project, you are treated like a real member of the team

Cons

low key projects in big company - fell like I don't have enough contribution. Good for first internship if you are bound to make lots of mistakes, experience depends A LOT on the individual team and manager - so not guaranteed

Advice to Management

Let the interns have a little more of a say in which project they ca work on. If they are excited about it, you'll get better results

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "SDET"

Current Contractor - Software Development Engineer In Test in South Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Software Development Engineer In Test in South Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology. You get experience across the breadth

Cons

Needs to put more hours sometimes.

"Great people working to make massive shift happen quickly"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love the opportunity to work with some of the smartest people around - I do lots of work overseas and our local hires in key markets represent the very best talent, hands-down.

The ability to do my work when/where I am best able to be productive - in over 10 years at the company, I've never been asked, "where are you?" or "why aren't you here in the office?". At the same time, people don't abuse the privilege and there's plenty of opportunity to collaborate face-to-face.

Benefits are incredibly generous, even with recent cost-sharing on health insurance

Cons

The size of the company requires everyone to maintain vigilance on staying nimble and fast moving, while finding opportunities to simplify our approaches, wherever possible.

Microsoft continues to be a very Redmond-centric company, despite decades of global growth.

Advice to Management

Identify CEO's successor and lock on future strategy as quickly as possible