Microsoft - Great company to work for with many changes coming | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great company to work for with many changes coming"

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upper management is making big changes to the company that should make it work better than it has in a long time. In June a reorganization was announced that will help teams work together better, and recently the employee evaluation system was overhauled so no longer will individuals be "ranked and yanked" on a forced curve. Both of these changes will help immensely with collaboration.

Cons

There is still lots of work to do to turn the company around. Cash cow businesses are nearly milked out, and there are many technologies that the company needs to mature in order to replace the revenue. Also, there is some uncertainty around who the new CEO will be and what the new CEO will do.

Advice to Management

Keep reinventing the company

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Great company, if you have thick skin for politics"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people, different groups with different work environments, great benefits and offices. Good compensation in general.

Cons

Built around a declining business model, and it is noticeable. At some point you can't keep growing without getting bruised with politics. If you're not politically talented, at least will need to have high tolerance towards it and know to stay away from people's destructive path. Switching jobs internally is not simple, and upper management can easily block you using obscure rules.

Advice to Management

Make internal transfer easier. It's ridiculous that it's easier to go work for the competition than for another group.

2. "Microsoft Tragedy 2014: The fall of a good but not preeminently good company because of flawed leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Good compensation relative to hours worked (vs Amazon)
    - Ample team and company resources to enable people to execute
    - R&D develops innovative technology

Cons

- Weak leadership, executive infighting and jockeying
    - Risk adverse environment prevents bold risks and confident execution. R&D work is no good if you don't monetize it... and we didn't even develop Kinnect, so don't take credit for Prime Sense's work.
    - We have more in common with Blackberry and Barnes & Noble than our competitors.
    - All the smart people have or are leaving. Just look at the number of GMs applying to local SMB tech companies as we speak. (I am already planning my own route out after a decade!)

Advice to Management

See cons section. We know that as long as your cushy paychecks keep coming, you can continue to make decisions far from the dire reality currently facing the company but reality will hit soon. Please don't wait for Alan & his Ford lieutenants to save the day, be the face of change and start thinking macro, not micro.