Microsoft - Microsoft Tragedy 2014: The fall of a good but not preeminently good company because of flawed leadership | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Microsoft Tragedy 2014: The fall of a good but not preeminently good company because of flawed leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Good compensation relative to hours worked (vs Amazon)
- Ample team and company resources to enable people to execute
- R&D develops innovative technology

Cons

- Weak leadership, executive infighting and jockeying
- Risk adverse environment prevents bold risks and confident execution. R&D work is no good if you don't monetize it... and we didn't even develop Kinnect, so don't take credit for Prime Sense's work.
- We have more in common with Blackberry and Barnes & Noble than our competitors.
- All the smart people have or are leaving. Just look at the number of GMs applying to local SMB tech companies as we speak. (I am already planning my own route out after a decade!)

Advice to Management

See cons section. We know that as long as your cushy paychecks keep coming, you can continue to make decisions far from the dire reality currently facing the company but reality will hit soon. Please don't wait for Alan & his Ford lieutenants to save the day, be the face of change and start thinking macro, not micro.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Could be a great company if they wiped out the middle tier politicians that don't contribute anything except chaos."

Pros

Benefits are best anywhere, best work life balance, 25% pure talent, 50% pure waste, and 25% demoralized.

Cons

Review system, culture and politics are destroying this company.

Advice to Management

Listen to outside world, hire a management consulting firm to tell you what's wrong and follow their advice.

2. "Nice not really intensive work in relaxed environment."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Visa issuance, cool benefits, relaxed people, get familiar with latest MS products, valuable trainings.

Cons

Too much politics, not really much time focused on engineering. Not too many days off. Projects and team are reorganized very often.

Advice to Management

More focus on product, less on politics.