Microsoft - A good company to start a career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"A good company to start a career."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to start a career, many product teams that you can easily find one that fits your interests.

Cons

A huge company and decisions could be slow at times.

Advice to Management

Focus on competing with external competitors instead of having process that results in internal competition.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Ok"

Pros

Microsoft offers a stable job.

Cons

Promotion is heavily driven by politics.

2. "The Death of Stack Ranking May Mean Collaboration Thrives"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager, Lead in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager, Lead in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ample resources, global reach, cutting edge technology, motivated company willing to try anything to thrive in today's much more competitive environment. I consider my Microsoft experience to be my grad school degree in marketing and digital advertising providing me with a massive level of truly impactful experience that I will be leveraging throughout the remainder of my career.

Cons

The biggest con was the enforced "go it alone" culture created by stack ranking. Truly employees are valued for not collaborating and working to solve problems and take credit entirely on their own. My own personal style has always been collaborative centered around brainstorming and giving credit where credit is due freely. Each employee has their own office in many of the buildings and as a result many people would IM each other rather than speak face to face even while sitting in adjoining offices. I'm a people-centered manage by walkaround person and as a result the team I led beat its goals and went home happy every night. But I was a manager of one and none of that success made its way through the stack ranking process. Hopefully these new changes help move the culture further forward and make the company more competitive in the marketplace.