Microsoft - A great place to work | Glassdoor

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Managers are, for the most part, invested in your career and your success (I've only encountered a few bad managers and they tended not to last long)
Lots of focus on ownership and product impact
Great benefits and pay
People are amazingly talented and fun to work with
Finally feels like we're building something together as a company, not just silos

Cons

You'll get harassed at parties ("I hate Vista, my computer is broken, Skype didn't work last night")
Senior management isn't always great at communicating downward which sometimes results in confusion
There are still some old (OLD) tools being used in engineering and it sucks when you have to go touch them

Advice to Management

Keep conceptually simplifying our product lines, it's getting easier to explain our business strategy to the outside world but we're not there yet

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Extremely fulfilling team-building, communication-bound, synergistic, participation in the single best team at Microsoft"

Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Camaraderie and strong structure. This was a very fulfilling place to work. It was awesome to see the Kinect ship. I obtained incredible independence.

Cons

Constantly behind schedule and over budget throughout the entire cycle added a degree of stress to the process. Oh well, PMs, what are you gonna do?

"First Year at MS"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far, consultant life at Microsoft is good. Horizontal mobility is great. Upward communication is easy, and encouraged. There's great pay, benefits, and peers, and the first month as a college hire is pretty much one big welcome party: you stay in a resort to train on Microsoft's culture and consulting basics. They do a really great job of making you feel cared for and welcome! There are LOTS of resources to get you ready.

Cons

Life after the first month has its troubles, though. The peers you meet the first month scatter all over the country to their respective locations, you don't have as clear cut a path, and training feels slightly disorganized. Everyone has his or her own technology focus, but it can take a while to find out what that is, leaving you stranded, and since it's really important you get billable, that can be daunting.