Microsoft - Great Company, but aging | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great Company, but aging"

Current Employee - Architect in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Architect in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great projects, great people, commands respect in the industry, you can do things that are impossible with smaller companies. We rule the Enterprise and they happily give us an awful lot of money because we deliver stuff that they understand, and that works.

Cons

- Too many middle managers and middling management, too much internal competition, passionate but unimaginative leadership.
- Too much cost watching from management and not enough good ideas.
- We have gone from being successful "fast followers" to just plain "followers".
- We have problems coping with complexity.
- Willingness to leverage advanced technology (that involves math and mental effort) is very limited.
- Overemphasis on "simplicity" leads to poor solutions.

Advice to Management

Not enough Ozzys, ok, he didn't work out, but he had the right approach. Too many KTs, cost cutting and cheerleading salesmanship will increase profits (we are great at that), but will not create great products.The only sure bet would be to break up the company. Either that or find a Steve Jobs or Elon Musk. Good luck with that (I mean it).

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Mixed bag, a company that needs a comprehensive policy on career planning for its people"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you get into a good division, with a good boss who knows how to navigate the bureaucracy within then you can do really impactful things

Cons

It is an inward looking, extremely slow moving, bureaucratic and arrogant organization. They are thrashing around trying to repeat the successes of the 80s and 90s in new areas, without changing any of their leadership or practices. That means unless you are an insider you get thrashed around as well - reorganizations and changes of direction are constant and unending. Managers at all levels are hit and miss, and empires constantly block meaningful progress

Advice to Management

Retire large number of people who have been at Microsoft forever. Get some new blood - at all levels.

2. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Managers are, for the most part, invested in your career and your success (I've only encountered a few bad managers and they tended not to last long)
    Lots of focus on ownership and product impact
    Great benefits and pay
    People are amazingly talented and fun to work with
    Finally feels like we're building something together as a company, not just silos

Cons

You'll get harassed at parties ("I hate Vista, my computer is broken, Skype didn't work last night")
    Senior management isn't always great at communicating downward which sometimes results in confusion
    There are still some old (OLD) tools being used in engineering and it sucks when you have to go touch them

Advice to Management

Keep conceptually simplifying our product lines, it's getting easier to explain our business strategy to the outside world but we're not there yet