Microsoft - A very VERY large company with amazing people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"A very VERY large company with amazing people"

Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries and stock awards. Great health benefits (although not as good as they used to be, they're still very good and employees pay very little). A hiring philosophy that tries to bring in the brightest and best, resulting in a very smart group of people. I have never worked with a group of people with a higher average IQ. Internal transfers between teams are enabled through tools and policies that encourage this, so you can move around fairly easily.

Cons

It's a big company, and very difficult to impact decisions in a short timeframe. Often decisions made far outside your circle of influence, and without your knowledge, impact your day-to-day job. Many of the products are staid and unexciting, and ship on long cycles. The result is that people who get enjoyment from shipping exciting new software need to get their job satisfaction from other factors. The performance management system encourages competition within a team rather than rewarding a team for great work. Finally, the ship cycles can lead to work/life inbalances that last months, and take a toll on home life.

Advice to Management

Create a reward system that encourages TEAMS to pull together (the rising tide that should float all boats).

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "It was "o.k." but proceed with caution."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people who work here are very bright.
    Benefits are fantastic and second to none.
    Great to have on your resume.

Cons

Zero work life balance and the company talks out of both sides of it's @&&. One minute they say that they want you to have work life balance, the next they say that if you really want to get ahead that you have to put in many, many hours to get ahead. Many of the people in my group would be doing work into the night on a daily basis.

They issue an annual employee survey where the purpose is to take the temperature of the employees and how they like to work at Microsoft. Each of the years that I was there, our direct manager would have a meeting with us and would say "if you have any problems at all, we would appreciate it if you told us in advance of the survey so we can work things out". This to me is just purely unethical - You are essentially strong armed into providing responses that are not honest for fear of it coming back to bite you professionally. Managers seem to be "graded" on this so if they have a small group of reports, then it wouldn't be too hard for them to figure out who said what (or they may assume).

Speaking of surveys - they do the same with their customers as well. This is a big metric within MS and reps have to be very careful as to who they get to fill out their surveys in order to get a good response. Have literally seen reps blatantly ask for good marks rather than honest ones.

Political - very political internally. There are people who have been there for years and are very much an "inner circle". People are some-what click'ish.

Not really a "negative" but just different - Very different sales cycle and unique from most other sales organizations. July, there is nothing going on, August through ~October is mostly "sales planning". Different in that the specialists are responsible for telling the account managers where the opportunities are within the account managers companies. This is not a big negative, but I do find it unusual. You would think that the account manager should know where the opportunities are within their own accounts.

2. "oversee display network"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

work life balance and pay

Cons

lack of investment in technology