Microsoft - A roller coaster ride! Thus far! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"A roller coaster ride! Thus far!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, excellent benefit package, good work/home life balance, training opportunities, advancement opportunities, dumped the dreaded ranking system, changing culture, challenging work, and an exciting future for the company.

During the "One Microsoft" re-org I've been lucky enough to have three new, awesome engineering managers to interact with. They are some of the best managers I have ever had in my entire career.

Cons

As a software engineer, if report to, or interact with, a terrible, non-caring, numbers only manager you, and your team, suffer the most. Microsoft seems full of these types of managers. It is best to change teams if you realize you have a terrible manager as soon as possible.

Advice to Management

Flatten the management structure as much as possible. Become more design driven so we can move out of the past into the new Microsoft!

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Great Company with the normal challenges of a large market dominating organisation"

Current Employee - Business Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great company that mostly cares about their people and frankly somewhere you know you will never be embarrassed to have worked. Microsoft cares for the people on the planet, just look at all the philanthropy the company engages in. I am proud to work at Microsoft and can put up with the occasional corporate silliness.

Cons

Microsoft's various brushes with regulators has condition behaviour so much that it is often hard to get people to make sensible compete decisions

Advice to Management

The new direction the company is moving in will require it to take some strong position with competition, do not be afraid of p'ing off the regulators and have a real go at it!

"Challenging - learning"

Current Employee - Consultant in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of self management , learning opportunities - Most managers are above average

Cons

Matrixed structure , Politics , Work Life balance is non existent

Advice to Management

Increase transparency