Microsoft - Some Good, Some Bad. | Glassdoor

"Some Good, Some Bad."

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of perks still. Teaming seems to be coming back slowly since the change in the performance review system. Lots of work to do, so durations look strong going forward.

Cons

Like any company, there are always bad managers here and there. There are still senior some managers who enjoy their fiefdoms and act accordingly. I my case my manager created a hostile work place, violated several of Microsoft's codes of conduct and personally violated me at a Microsoft conference. HR is not your friend here if you are a Caucasian Male. 1 year later she was promoted and 3 years later she forced me out of the company.

Advice to Management

When you say "People are our greatest assets" please act as if you really mean what you say. To often this statement is thrown around and it just feels like fluff. Additionally, there a lot of well educated American born employees who do great work. Stop replacing them with H1B visas as a way to increase the bottom line. It is not doing the local economy any good and those you drive out, you also drive out their continued support of Microsoft as a consumer.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "It is a great company in general. I worked there as a research intern in the machine learning department."

Former Intern - Researcher in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - Researcher in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It has a lot of freedom, and you can work on world class research problems with the researchers there.

Cons

It is highly depends on your mentor and co-workers. Some of them are really nice, but some of them might be not that good.

Advice to Management

It should give intern the freedom to choose who are going to be in the same office. This can inspire a lot of ideas if it works out.

2. "Microsoft spoils interns!"

Former Intern - Research Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Intern - Research Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects nice people, Washigton is a very good place to live.

Cons

It's a huge living organism - communicatin between certain teams could be improved.