Microsoft - Excellent place to work, tackling big challenges in our industry | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Excellent place to work, tackling big challenges in our industry"

Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong self-awareness as a company, made up of highly driven individuals. High IQ but with values that focus on EQ as well, people that thrive have a good balance of skills. Ambitious market objectives with a strong focus on our customers, strong focus on community and giving back.

Cons

Very complex business processes and overlapping interests and challenges. Hard organization to learn as a new hire, difficult to navigate. Difficultly getting amazing R&D work into the hands of customers fast enough, tough to grow new businesses due to the high expectations (revenue, market share) of senior execs.

Advice to Management

We need to simplify and streamline businesses (reorgs underway, need to accelerate) and create an environment where new ideas and businesses are brought to market much more quickly. Embrace cannibalization and "burn the boats" more frequently.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Mixed bag of goodies"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

$$$. Salary is less than Facebook or Google, but it's still significantly higher than most places. If you do good work and make sure the right people know about it, you'll be richly rewarded. Almost everyone here is extremely smart, so it keeps you on your toes. I also love having my own office.

Cons

Re-orgs. Ugh. Considering the fact that your managers' perception of your work is more important than your actual work (like any other corporate environment), dealing with the constant trauma of re-orgs is disheartening. A pending re-org all but guarantees that you won't get any credit for your short-term work, so if your goal is recognition and high reviews, you have to actively manage your career by finding a manager you like and following him/her through every org change. Also, even though everyone is extremely smart, egos are very high.

Advice to Management

I'm skeptical about the new review system: It sounds exactly like the old one but now with new vocabulary and less transparency.

2. "High performing, well appointed, good place to work"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Autonomy, you are given expectations and provided you are a self starter, are innovative and driven, you should be able to succeed.

Cons

Individual contributors need to be aware that the perception of success often falls to you becoming management.
    If you are in the wrong team, you can be disparaged very easily - rumors do fly.

Advice to Management

Skip levels. Do them, in prior teams they maintained the balance. My last team failed and contributed to my leaving the company after nearly a decade.