Microsoft - Really great company to work for in terms of work-life balance, benefits/perks, and general happiness! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Really great company to work for in terms of work-life balance, benefits/perks, and general happiness!"

Former Intern - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA
Former Intern - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- The company treats it's employees great! Free gym membership, free transit pass, subsidized housing for interns, lots of free swag
- Just three words: Intern Signature Event. Best night of my entire internship by far. We got to taste all the best foods of Seattle, saw Macklemore and Deadmau5 in concert, got tours of the Boeing factory in Duck Tour Boats, and received a surface pro 2 as an intern gift (before it was even released to the public!!)
- Lots of events and after-work programs for everyone! I attended "Stay and Draw" events, salsa lessons, etc.
- The campus is very nice and there's shuttle service to different buildings
- Ppl don't care which internet browser, phone, or search engine you use (my over-consciousness about the whole thing was really just in my head, more than anything)
- Upper management is very accessible and willing to talk to interns (I was able to ask the dev manager of my team for 1-on-1 lunch and she was very nice!)
- Lots of opportunities for career growth
- Lots of supports from mentors as an intern
- Lots of fun intern-only events :D

Cons

- I was in Office, so the development cycles were really long (although much shorter than what it used to be)
- The recruiters can be EXTREMELY pushy. They won't take no for an answer, and they don't seem to understand why, as a student, you'd want to experience other companies/industries
- Sometimes it feels like Microsoft fosters mediocrity
- Felt like my intern project didn't have much impact

Advice to Management

Give more relevant intern projects that make an impact

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "MS review"

Former Employee - Architect in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Architect in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Active culture, good benefits, great people

Cons

Heavy on middle management, many contractors

Advice to Management

Not qualified to advice management

"An employment experience at Microsoft varies widely depending on what team you join."

Current Contractor - IT Service Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Contractor - IT Service Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

MS has some of the smartest people to walk the planet. I've seen amazing things come from the imagination of my teammates, and I've been proud to work with them.

Cons

MS has some of the dumbest people to walk the planet. I've seen whole teams paralyzed by chain-of-command confusion, incompetent middle management, political obsession, class-conscious bias, or just outright laziness.

Advice to Management

Throw out Ballmer's rating system and revisit annual reviews again. If an employee develops a habit of using terms like "dash-trash" or opining that contractors are less invested, less qualified or less trustworthy because they're contractors, fire that employee. It's hurting the company. If you don't understand why, please show this review to your supervisor and he/she will explain it to you.