Microsoft - Learned a lot, decent compensation. Sometimes infuriating. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Learned a lot, decent compensation. Sometimes infuriating."

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the right team you'll work with great people and learn all the time. Microsoft is involved in a huge number of different products and roles, and mobility within the company is normally fairly easy. It can actually be a great place to learn new skills - after you've built a track record of success people will give you a try at things you probably wouldn't have been hired into directly.

Cons

In the wrong team you'll work against great people and make each other dumber. Don't expect your management to help you find a good fit - it just isn't something the company is good at. You need to manage your own career. Keep shopping yourself around. Don't get stale.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Really great company to work for in terms of work-life balance, benefits/perks, and general happiness!"

Former Intern - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- The company treats it's employees great! Free gym membership, free transit pass, subsidized housing for interns, lots of free swag
    - Just three words: Intern Signature Event. Best night of my entire internship by far. We got to taste all the best foods of Seattle, saw Macklemore and Deadmau5 in concert, got tours of the Boeing factory in Duck Tour Boats, and received a surface pro 2 as an intern gift (before it was even released to the public!!)
    - Lots of events and after-work programs for everyone! I attended "Stay and Draw" events, salsa lessons, etc.
    - The campus is very nice and there's shuttle service to different buildings
    - Ppl don't care which internet browser, phone, or search engine you use (my over-consciousness about the whole thing was really just in my head, more than anything)
    - Upper management is very accessible and willing to talk to interns (I was able to ask the dev manager of my team for 1-on-1 lunch and she was very nice!)
    - Lots of opportunities for career growth
    - Lots of supports from mentors as an intern
    - Lots of fun intern-only events :D

Cons

- I was in Office, so the development cycles were really long (although much shorter than what it used to be)
    - The recruiters can be EXTREMELY pushy. They won't take no for an answer, and they don't seem to understand why, as a student, you'd want to experience other companies/industries
    - Sometimes it feels like Microsoft fosters mediocrity
    - Felt like my intern project didn't have much impact

Advice to Management

Give more relevant intern projects that make an impact

2. "SDE II"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

each person has its own office

Cons

management is lack of vision

Advice to Management

less political play