Microsoft - Overall, Microsoft is a great place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Overall, Microsoft is a great place to work."

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Operations Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great people to work with at Microsoft.

Cons

Executive leadership often makes decisions without understanding the full impact on all levels of the business.

Advice to Management

Value your long time high performing employees, no matter what their level or title. They all have contributed to making Microsoft successful in some way. Microsoft should view these dedicated employees as an investment. When you replace them with cheaper inexperienced people you are wasting those years that the company has invested, all to save a few bucks. What a shame.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Lacking leaders and direction"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility, challenges, people are generally good

Cons

Too many non-technical leaders or technical leaders without empathy. Tons of politics in the major divisions and orgs...not worth your time. HR changes are not a reality, the ratings will persist. Don't be fooled.

Advice to Management

Stop operating out of a place of fear. It is non-productive and destroys teams and orgs.

"Smart people and team spirit"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the excitement of working on a new product and feeling like part of something big. I never missed a company party or meeting - there's nothing like clapping and using noisemakers with 18,000 other Microsofties when Steve Ballmer comes running out onto the stage at Safeco Field.

Cons

The performance review system is broken. I hear they're fixing it, but I'm skeptical. The lean, innovative teams of 15 years ago are being replaced by bureaucracy and too many meetings.

Advice to Management

Stop putting 31-year-old MBAs without a clue in charge as Group Managers.

Try to avoid letting us work really hard on projects for a couple of years and then pulling the rug out from under us.

SMART goals aren't so smart. How about making it OK for us to get really, really good at our jobs, instead of telling us that excellent work is a "C", and that to get any recognition you have to do heroics completely outside your job description?