Microsoft - SDE Internship at Microsoft - Great Experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"SDE Internship at Microsoft - Great Experience"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

An internship at Microsoft has been a great experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone. The pay and benefits for interns is better than most other internships. Above this, however, the way in which Microsoft structures their internships is very refreshing compared to past internships I've had. Intern projects at Microsoft are incredibly well thought out and are designed so that you can complete them during the summer, make an impact, and not have to learn every intricacy of the product you are working on.

As for working for Microsoft in general, everyone seems to be very happy with their jobs and I have yet to see much that would make me want to work anywhere else.

Cons

Not really a negative, but I would say that your experience here, much like at other companies, is very much dependent on your group and the people you work with. There of course have been a few stories of interns who work for groups they simply don't like. For the most part, however, the groups are all very enthusiastic and fun to work with.

Advice to Management

I was probably not at the company long enough to make a reasonable assessment of Senior Management at Microsoft. Although I can say that everyone I have had contact with that is in a management position above me has been nothing but enjoyable.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Great global technology firm with somewhat high entropy growth"

Current Employee - General Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

1) Talent - bright, focused, motivated, experienced, energetic people from all over the world; 2) Resources - funding to work on long-term, ambitious projects; 3) Global reach - ability to deliver solutions to customers world-wide

Cons

Growing bureaucracy and focus on legal/operations management vs product development, management inexperience in dealing with resource allocation in the presence of scarcity/slow growth, excessive fragmentation of responsibility and lack of end to end product/business ownership

Advice to Management

Develop a concise, clear vision beyond "PC on every desktop" that can be helpful in decision making throughout the company; clear focus on smaller number of efforts; enable clear end to end product and business ownership; setup process for incubation of new business/product opportunities with clear success criteria and allow efforts that can potentially compete with establish directions.

2. "Microsoft was a great place to work but I am happier on the outside now"

Former Employee - Group Product Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Group Product Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

There is no lack of resources at your disposal but the best part about working for Microsoft were the
    smart and passionate people that you got to work with everyday. The bar is still very high there. They are also doing many cool things in many different areas of technology. Many companies under 1 roof. But as with most companies, the higher up the chain you go, the more you need to be prepared with managing people, managers, budgets as opposed to building, executing, and innovating

Cons

The downside is the stock has gone nowhere in 10 years and there is little to no upside. Politics and management reviews can be taxing and fustrating. They also lead to a bloated, slow execution cycle that can be terribly fustrating.

Advice to Management

think out of the (PC) box
    work to be more nimble