Microsoft - Great benefits, boring and unfilling job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great benefits, boring and unfilling job"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours were great. I worked from 8 to 3 everyday. A lot of people in my group worked a ton of hours but I felt that they were doing mostly BS work such as spending a lot of time tweaking numbers on a Excel spreadsheet that they would then copy and paste into a PowerPoint that no would be able to read anyway. I never understood why people spent so much time on presentation that were still so terrible in the end.

The benefits were also great. I don't have kids, but it seemed great for people with kids. If your kid gets sick, you can just work from home for a day. The flexibility is amazing.

In general, work life balance at Microsoft is great for the life part of the equation, but not so great for the work part of it.

Cons

I hear this is different at other parts of the company but I was working in the US M&O. It's supposedly a marketing group but no marketing gets done. People mostly spend their time trying to wave their arms so their manager or manager's manager feels that marketing is being accomplished. It's the biggest waste of time I've ever seen.

Advice to Management

Microsoft's structure is bloated. There are too many people doing a few jobs so everyone gets into a habit of managing up in order to show that there is enough to work to warrant a job position. In the end, people get promoted based on political clout rather than actual ability or delivery. There are deep cultural problems here. Microsoft feels like a place where 40 year olds go to retire.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Great Company, great atmosphere, great benefits"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

huge portfolio of products, you can always find something new to work on. Great flexibility to move from one team to another one. great benefits, awesome work-life balance

Cons

rainy seattle is the only location. Microsoft is Redmond-centric

Advice to Management

set the hiring bar higher, e.g. more Ph.D.

2. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Producer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Producer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Xbox division is great, you work in the videogame industry, which usually pays less than the average software developer because everybody wants to work there, but get paid competitive salary because Microsoft pays on a level range, whether you work for Xbox, Windows or Office.

Cons

However, working for the Xbox division means that the work/life balance tilts towards the work side. Xbox is a lifestyle and if you want to be the best in this competitive environment (the best from Microsoft want to jump to Xbox, so it is harder and more competitive than the rest of MSFT), then you have to be constantly working harder and gaming in your time away from the office.

Advice to Management

Xbox is a great place to work, but senior management should understand that there is a difference of what is required for producing and developing games and provide options like royalties or other benefits.