Microsoft - Not the place for good software engineers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Not the place for good software engineers"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Microsoft has lots of money and decent benefits. Some of the middle management is OK.

Cons

If you are coming from a top engineering school, and really know software, this is not the place for you. I felt like after I graduated from MIT that I went back to elementary school when I started working at Microsoft. Most of the software engineers here have no clue and the office politics are out of control, so you spend more time defending turf than coding.

Advice to Management

Consider promoting the talented software engineers rather than harassing them.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Engaging, but always needing a bit more simplicity"

Former Contractor - User Experience Designer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Contractor - User Experience Designer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Have the chance to work with really talented people that care about building great products.

Cons

Bogged down quite often by the bureaucracy. Product vision focuses not enough on building iterative features that can be added onto quickly vs. larger product visions that never come to be

Advice to Management

Work on small goals within the agile process that add up to a great product over time vs. a big splash. Especially on legacy products.

2. "Good company, keeps you on your toes and with not much downtime."

Former Contractor - Sales Desk Associate in Issaquah, WA
    Former Contractor - Sales Desk Associate in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great company values. Environment is full of ambitious and motivated individuals. Management encourages staff to grow and utilize all skill sets. Team works strongly together and collaborates as much as possible.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. Expectations not so clear. Management is fixated on quantity not so much quality and does not realize the stress put onto the team. Leaders Ignore the fact that people are overworking to please but this is expected.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge what is really happening and really truly understand the frustrations of the team. Work together to make the team better and don't undermine the hard work of individuals even if they don't take on multiple projects.