Microsoft - Great if you are in Seattle, but engineering in the bay area is not the place to be | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great if you are in Seattle, but engineering in the bay area is not the place to be"

Current Employee - Principal Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Principal Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, good benefits, stability. There is a fair amount of variety in the bay area but nothing like what there is in Seattle of course.

Cons

In my experience, teams are all very interdependent which means everyone has to agree to get anything done. Not super nimble. More talking than doing.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring in partners in the bay area and grow the people that are there. It feels like there is no future down here. Pretty much all Bay Area partners were hired in.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Great normally"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft (More than 10 years)

Pros

Normally a great place to work, IF you have a good group

Cons

IF your group is one of the ones that is in trouble everything will suffer, career, work life balance, salary, bonus.
    It can be a hyper political place as well

Advice to Management

Keep up the new focus, lighten the politics and do the right thing for the employees and the customers.

2. "The wind is at our backs"

Current Employee - Senior Talent Sourcer
    Current Employee - Senior Talent Sourcer

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Amazingly smart and passionate people who now realize we're no longer in the drivers seat but must work smart/hard to delight customers and excite employees. Great compensation/benefits, attention paid to work/life balance and now we have a leader that "gets it."

Cons

Very Washington/Redmond-centric; we definitely need to open positions up for remote employees globally. Though the old culture is slowly giving way to a faster, more agile approach to delivering great products, the remnants of our former culture still remain. We have to get rid of the things that bogged us down and put us in silos and embrace the change that Satya speaks about, fully.

Advice to Management

Keep Satya at the forefront of the company, not just externally but internally. His energy, his desire for the right kind of change and his vision for new products/technology needs to be felt/heard as much as possible.