Microsoft - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lot of events
- Very flexible on working hours

Cons

- Small tasks
- No visibility in some projects

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Great place for a navigator"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can actually get away with a straight 9:30-4:00 schedule if you know how to. Do not think it is all work here. Social aspects take precedence. You also have some dash trash and interns you can utilize. On the technology front Microsoft is still up to very important things. Satya recently expressed his opinion that we can be a three-pony trick. I believe it. good place to work

Cons

Priorities change all the time and what was important yesterday is not important today. It is important to let others handle the pressure because otherwise you would go insane.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Leverage resources and contractors so we can focus on strategic work.

"Big chaotic Monolithic engine..."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Above average pay and benefits, but for some teams where the work sucks and/or its too hectic; I don't think they are justified in the compensation they receive for example in my case.

Cons

- Several (barring some exceptions) Seniors or long time Microsoft'ians are very prejudiced and bigoted.
    - Starkly unconventional culture which most of them find difficulty to adhere to, but almost 80-85% get jelled in pretty good. I personally don't prefer it, but that's my opinion.
    - Let's do it in the next release attitude generally prevails,
    - Local management is not reliable as since the past 2+ years I have been here, there have been multiple churns, 5 manager changes and 3 team shifts... Projects keep getting shelved or moving back to Redmond.
    - Constant pressure to always do better - no cooling off period or plateau option