Microsoft - Great opportunities; can be political at times | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great opportunities; can be political at times"

Current Employee - Operations Program Manager
Current Employee - Operations Program Manager

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO and benefits are excellent.
Depending on the role, work-life balance can be very good. My role, for example, allows me tremendous flexibility in my work schedule, so I can accommodate my personal life. I'm also able to work 100% remotely.
Salary and annual perks (bonuses + stock) are very good.
Microsoft may not be as hot a name as Google or Apple, but they are on the cutting edge technically, and they compete hard. I get to work with cool technology as a result.

Cons

Redmond-centric. Despite being a global organization, there is still a strong pull toward Redmond, and unless you live there, some job opportunities just aren't available to you; that can limit growth.
It is unclear what you need to do to get a promotion, and management can seem capricious when it comes to promoting.
Closed-mindedness about the strategic landscape. This is not universally true in the company, and I feel that our current leadership is much more aware of the landscape in which Microsoft operates and what we need to do to succeed. But amongst the rank-and-file it's not uncommon to run into those who decry any product that isn't Microsoft's as sub-par, or deride anybody who chooses to use a competing product in their personal lives. The attitude can be frustrating for people who simply love technology, wherever it comes from, and enjoy using hot products, even if they come from the competition.

Advice to Management

Try not to play catch up with the competition. Try to leap frog and envision the next big thing, and get there before others do.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "overall good experience"

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

smart people, friends for life, good compensation

Cons

some managers don't know how to manage people, work load is unreasonable, too many re-orgs

2. "SharePoint PFE"

Former Employee - Premier Field Engineer
    Former Employee - Premier Field Engineer

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best Company to Word, Beautiful Package, Friendly Manager, Visible goals & Lot of Challenging work.

Cons

Work/Life Balance, Highly competitive environment & Need to Travel a lot

Advice to Management

New Leader is doing good. Keep up the work. Let put Microsoft first @ Search, Mail,Cloud & Mobile space.