Microsoft - This is one of the best places to work, hands down. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"This is one of the best places to work, hands down."

Former Employee - Product Advisor in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Product Advisor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Microsoft part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits at every level of the company. Real ethics and integrity. Great support for the employee and the well being of the customer. It's not a soul-sucking money-grubbing hellhole.

Cons

Policies are very strict, and it takes a while to get to know all the rules and lingo, but that's the only real issue. That and fanatics of other tech companies will never stop giving you crap about your company.

Advice to Management

Keep at it. You're doing a wonderful job keeping your employees happy.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "A great culture that allows a self-starting person has the freedom to take an idea and drive it to reality."

Current Employee - Group Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, ability to drive change on a global scale, working with really smart people - most of whom really seem to care

Cons

A terrible bureaucracy at times. Too many layers of direct and matrixed management. An enormous DISCONNECT at the middle management level between executive strategy and what's actually happening on the ground. Runs primary in the levels Sr. Director and General Managers, but occasionally hits CVP and Directors. Too much managing up, and not enough care given to support teams. Too much empire building and not enough doing what's right for One Microsoft. The irony is that even at the CEO level, the executives get it. It's that middle management layer that is keeping Microsoft from being the nimble company it needs to be to stay competitive in the longer term.

Advice to Management

Make good on the promise to make the organization flatter. Don't just look at developer areas and Nokia integration, but also look in IT, Finance, WWLP, Operations, etc. Get rid of most of the "matrix" of sideways reporting. Cut out all this overhead and excessive layering that is suffocating a great company. I'm proud to have worked her for several years and made some big positive impacts. However, doing so has been excessively and needlessly tiring. Like many others, I don't plan to stay here if change doesn't happen. There isn't enough money to make it right.

2. "Microsoft: Excellent Opportunity to Grow your Skills"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Depending on where you are in the company it can be a great experience or a poor one. A lot depends on your immediate management chain and that can reflect someone's job satisfaction and perception around growth opportunities. I have been in bad places and good ones. Bad management has made me want to leave the company, made me feel unrewarded and underutilized whereas times where I have been under seasoned, skilled management chain I have felt challenged, rewarded, recognized. Flexibility of work schedule has been great and I am able to find work-life 'fit' i.e. something that works for me in a demanding environment.

Cons

Microsoft has many sub-cultures. On one hand it can have petty territorial battles that is targeted only to further interests of an individual and his/her chosen few with little flexibility and no personal consideration. The more hour one puts in (be it working or just socializing and building relationships) is seen as more valuable than someone who is efficient and gets things done. In right environment that dynamic does change to 'getting it done' attitude. It is a high pressure and demanding environment and place where one has to learn to live with ambiguity and change of direction, frequently.

Advice to Management

Be 'in touch' with the reality of our business (good and bad). Don't believe all the hype that may be thrown at you from divisions across the board. Sometimes, just unstructured connections (outside of townhalls) can give you insight to many key areas of improvements.