Microsoft - Only good for parents' bumper stickers "My child works for Microsoft" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Only good for parents' bumper stickers "My child works for Microsoft""

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Redmond, WA

Pros

Microsoft is this world's largest software development company, this looks good to future employeers. Employees receive discounts when purchasing normally overpriced software.

Cons

You have to pay for food and snacks. Not a comfortable work environment, they discourage peaceful and collaborative working. They do not promote based on quality of work instead they promote based on popularity and their review system. Hard work is NEVER rewarded here, instead employees are promoted when they do less work and leave early. At Microsoft, if one person in management, regardless of their direct connection to you, doesn't like you, your next review will be damaged. I've received only one 0.5% raise in nearly 5 years of service. Microsoft has horrible retention of long term employees. Management is free to ridicule employees. They 'claim' raises and promotions can happen any time but I have never seen anyone recieve a promotion or raise outside of once a year.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the survey feedback provided by employees, not just the management feedback. Attempt to correct salary and level mistakes as soon as possible. I have seen many highly talented people leave Microsoft after a couple years because Microsoft fails to appreciate employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"ok."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

Pros

Greate company to work for.

Cons

Cost of housing in Seattle area

Advice to Management

grow the company organicaly and build leaders from with

"Unlimited opportunities and endless challenge."

Current Employee - Human Resource Business Partner in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resource Business Partner in Redmond, WA

Pros

Incredible challenging work and the opportunity to have multiple careers over a long tenure at the company. People in all disciplines are incredibly strong and often the best in the business which means you are surrounded by minds that can constantly challenge and push you to your fullest potential. Not only is feedback appreciated, it is expected and leadership across the company is very thoughtful about how they respond and react to employees when providing suggestions for improving our business. Ultimately, you can have multiple careers and really follow your passion to find projects and work that constatly excited and challenge you - regardless of the role you are seeking.

Cons

It is a very fast moving environment so it can be a challegne to manage work life balance if you are not assertive. The company moves at the speed of the Internet and often times there is less infrastructure that most people from other large companies might expect. The good news is that means very little adminstrative bureaucracy, but can also mean there is more ambiguity than is comfortable for a lot of people. You have to be driven and constantly willing to learn, grow and take feedback. This can also mean that sometimes we recreate the wheel or don't take advantage of the experiences others have had.

Advice to Management

Our management is strong. My only thought is that we tend to think technical excellence is an indicator of managerial excellence when often times the two don't go hand in hand or hit the pavement at the same time. We need to make sure we reward strong managment and strong technical leadership and provide opportunities for people who are strong in both. Sometimes the most successul technical individual contributor is not the best pick for an open manager role. Sometimes the best pick is the person who wants the role and has a focus on managment excellence versus technical excellence.