Microsoft - Sr. Marketing Manager | Glassdoor

"Sr. Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience is that MSFT is filled with well-intentioned, earnest, hard working, and smart individuals. Being part of a very large system brings its own challenges that you need to be ready for.

Cons

MSFT is a very large company which has locked senior management into long-term relationships with its stock and compensation packages. This isn't unique to MSFT, but does create situations where it is better to say "no" and stay the course than take risks.

Advice to Management

Flatten the organization and increase the requirements for risk taking.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Microsoft - The future looks great and now is the best time to work for"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Under CEO Satya Nadella, Microsoft is going in the right direction. I believe the senior leadership is doing the right things, making the Engineering changes like combined Engineering model, less management chain and focusing on the core strengths. As an employee, I get less tangled in processes and am free to do my stuff without micro-management. Great work gets noticed by not only by my manager but all the way up to the VP level and rewards follow. I am provided opportunities to take on additional responsibilities which paves the way for professional growth.
    Unlike other competitor companies, work-life balance is much better at Microsoft. I can manage to spend a lot of quality time with my family, take periodic vacations, and still maintain an Excellent rating at the performance reviews.

Cons

I don't have any cons to discuss at the moment but I am still not convinced about the Performance Review changes for 2014. We will get a better understanding by September 2014.

"Make awesome products people probably aren't using."

Former Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, interesting work (based on the groups I've chosen to work in), and extremely congenial atmosphere. I've encountered very few people that I consider a waste of headcount over the years, which is in stark contrast to other big companies I've worked for where that rate ran up to 50% in some cases.

Cons

The company is still struggling to find consumer mojo and it's disappointing to see them produce good products that they fail to market appropriately. As a result, you feel like half of the stuff Microsoft is working on is pointless. Find a group that's building something you're passionate about and you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Fix marketing. You can't advertise something for two weeks after you release and call it good. Every third ad on TV is for an iPhone or iPad. They only come out with new ones once a year - sustained marketing does wonders.

More acquisitions. Stop spinning up new products and services that are half-baked copies of something and just buy the market leader. Buy Spotify or Pandora for example and put a bullet in Xbox Music. Xbox Music sucks, you're not improving it fast enough, just pack it in and buy a service people are using.