Microsoft - 12 years at Microsoft | Glassdoor

"12 years at Microsoft"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Benefits were great at Microsoft.
Work and life balance was stressed from the top level down.
Many opportunities to make yourself heard.

Cons

Administrative opportunities are very limited if you do not work at the Redmond campus. It was very hard to move up career wise in the administrative community there.

Advice to Management

Need to consider more effective ways in retaining long time employees instead of just treating them as replaceable with the next person.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Microsoft: Still a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer In Test in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer In Test in Redmond, WA

Pros

What I really enjoy in working at Microsoft is the quality of the people (many of them truly world-class!), the high-performing company culture that pushes everyone to get better every day, the tremendous opportunities for learning/training and the huge impact employees can have on the world through Microsoft's products.

Cons

Like in any big organization, there is some red tape and politics that get in the way of agility. While this is necessary sometimes, overall it puts the company at a disadvantage when compared to smaller, more agile competitors. Promotions take longer and longer to get once above a certain level, so it takes a lot of patience and continuous great work to get ahead. Work-life balance has improved over the past years in general, but it's still an issue.

Advice to Management

I'd love to see Microsoft reclaim its previous ability to lead the industry and to be the innovative company we all signed up to work for. Apple, Google and even smaller competitors are eating our lunch and Microsoft is playing catchup in many of the product lines. Instead of reacting and desperately trying to match competitors' offerings, I'd like Microsoft to be the market leader in innovation, execution and customer service. I want the "coolness" factor put back into the Microsoft brand and I want management to take bold action in this direction.

2. "Almost 10 Years at MS. Loved every minute, would never go back only because I'm ready for the next chapter."

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

The best health care benefits of anywhere - period. 100% coverage, no out of pocket expenses ever, huge lifetime caps, simply the best.

Excellent training available.
    Really smart colleagues.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a little difficult. This is especially true around ship milestones. Management is usually aware of this and schedule 'morale days' to help compensate.

Each year I worked at MS I lost vacation time due to fires arising.

Advice to Management

Generally continue on the current path. The company has grown so quickly and so large that some reorganization is necessary.
    It would be good to not cancel really amazing projects (Courier comes to mind).