Microsoft - Great place to work, but stay out of the pigeonhole | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great place to work, but stay out of the pigeonhole"

Current Employee - Group Finance Manager in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Group Finance Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

--Competitive pay with platinum-plated benefis
--Opulent office space
--Can-do spirit on new teams
--Can genuinely make a difference
--Upward mobility within your team is a distinct possibility with persistence and results

Cons

--Finance and accounting systems are a mess
--When we make a difference, it's because we know how to work the system, but is that really value-add?
--Over-matrixed culture creates overburdensome bureaucracy where big projects just don't get done, but division CFOs get to move on after spending million$.
--Microsoft IT is a HUGE impediment to the success of the broader finance org
--Internal movement 100% self-driven rather than coached/choreographed at senior levels; internal job search just like an external search, complete with cold calls, resume drops, etc.
--Be forewarned that when things get stale in the group that hires you, it WILL be difficult to make a change unless you are among the anointed.

Advice to Management

Simplify, simplify, simplify!

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Mixed feelings"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

The compensation is good for reasonable amounts of work. Maintaining a solid work life balance is easy. When I have a team I click with, coming to work is nice.

Cons

My managers have been decent, but not necessarily great for me. To a large extent, it's about personality, and I'm a bit difficult. My current manager has been great.

There's a bit of a bubble mentality among some employees -- not all -- who don't necessarily see other options available to our customers.

To make an impact, you need to be deep within your role; having a broader perspective isn't necessarily valued.

You need a thick skin to handle the abuse from outside the company.

Advice to Management

Don't buy into your own propaganda that only Microsoft is capable of accomplishing certain goals. That's not the case, and such a worldview is dangerous to the company.

"Avoid like a plague if going to QA dept of Tellme / Microsoft"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Microsoft as a whole is very good. Excellent benefits, big company job, lots of resources for training and such. One of the best health benefits I have come across.

Cons

If you are going to Tellme Division of Microsoft, I would recommend avoiding like a plague if you dont belong to the origin of the country where walmart outsources most of its merchandise.

Advice to Management

Diversity and promotion to multiple ethnicity in Tellme QA dept. Even HR acts as nothing is happening.