Microsoft - Great people, lot of red tape, lack of confidence in own vision | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"Great people, lot of red tape, lack of confidence in own vision"

Current Employee - Development Lead
Current Employee - Development Lead

Pros

you're working with a lot of smart and dedicated people
Everyday is an opportunity to challenge oneself, learn and improve.
you can change things if you really want to (but it's really hard).

Cons

Microsoft seems to continuously play catch-up with competition. People knows it but don't know how to fix this. Bureaucracy/development process tends to naturally kill a lot of ideas and water-down everything to average end-solutions, there is no time to iterate ideas, learn and potentially let them flourish. so you'll need a lot of hardwork and dedication to get an innovative idea through. but it's possible.
planning process is a bit of a mess, and create more pain than it should. it is probably why we fail to create a long term vision that people can rally around.

Advice to Management

we probably need a new CEO who can bring fresh ideas and style to the company.
We need more interim milestones in order to allow for mistakes and try new ideas. (Windows is using 3, it's not enough)

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Outside of Redmond and Prod Mgmt/Dev, this company is Clueless in execution and Consumers"

Current Employee - Director of Operations
    Current Employee - Director of Operations

Pros

Very good pkg of training, especially for those in leadership positions as people managers. You can be certain the people managers you have in MS will be properly prepared and resources are provided to ensure you are successful.

Cons

Too much resources renders a lot of people into lazy, incompent workers. this is especially the case outside of Redmond away where there is a true spirit of innovation and hard-charging attitude. the Intl subs are not the same. Company is on defense all the time instead of playing offense. e.g., sales is caught guilty of channel stuffing because of our dinosaur policy and program forces non-competitive products to be sold, so we had subs completely found guilty of stuffing channels to make their numbers. Victim of the past success and living in the past glory. Out of touch with the marketplace and reality. Apple and Google are kicking our rear-ends.

Advice to Management

The world doesn't revolve around Redmond and the US. We have been and will continue to get detroyed in the emerging markets if we expect customers and consumers in region will put up with our ridiculous set of rules. We are not the sun any longer, rather a moon now. We should not force other to orbit around us but instead try to deliver value back to the world, like we did previously.

2. "Good employer"

Pros

Great benefits
    Treats people well in general
    Broad array of products
    Encourages internal mobility

Cons

Politics
    Bureaucracy - when it works for you it is great, but can be tough if it is not aligned with you
    Lot of less competent managers have risen to fairly senior levels in middle-senior management

Advice to Management

Focus on realizing the worth/potential of employees and rely less on internal processes (or make them less rigid)