Microsoft - Mixed feelings | Glassdoor

"Mixed feelings"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

The compensation is good for reasonable amounts of work. Maintaining a solid work life balance is easy. When I have a team I click with, coming to work is nice.

Cons

My managers have been decent, but not necessarily great for me. To a large extent, it's about personality, and I'm a bit difficult. My current manager has been great.

There's a bit of a bubble mentality among some employees -- not all -- who don't necessarily see other options available to our customers.

To make an impact, you need to be deep within your role; having a broader perspective isn't necessarily valued.

You need a thick skin to handle the abuse from outside the company.

Advice to Management

Don't buy into your own propaganda that only Microsoft is capable of accomplishing certain goals. That's not the case, and such a worldview is dangerous to the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"Avoid like a plague if going to QA dept of Tellme / Microsoft"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Microsoft as a whole is very good. Excellent benefits, big company job, lots of resources for training and such. One of the best health benefits I have come across.

Cons

If you are going to Tellme Division of Microsoft, I would recommend avoiding like a plague if you dont belong to the origin of the country where walmart outsources most of its merchandise.

Advice to Management

Diversity and promotion to multiple ethnicity in Tellme QA dept. Even HR acts as nothing is happening.

2. "Company tries hard to please employees"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Benefits are great! (100% paid, no payroll deduction or co-pays)
    Stock awards are nice
    Room for growth

Cons

Lack of communication from upper management
    No backbone inside the company (hire ups don't stand up for things they know is a bad decision)

Advice to Management

during the "mid-year" review period, allow your employees to rate their upper management