Microsoft - Microsoft Internship | Glassdoor

"Microsoft Internship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

Worked on high level marketing projects at Xbox

Cons

Almost too much consensus is needed to make any decision. The company is very “middle heavy.”

Advice to Management

Allow managers more decision making power

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. "Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

Pros

Good benefit
    Variety of products
    Good learning opportunities

Cons

Review system makes your co-workers your competitors.
    Slow. Project cycle is long.

Advice to Management

Revamp the review system to give more emphasis on team work.

"MBA Internship at Microsoft"

Former Employee - Product Management Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Product Management Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

1. People
    The people at MS are amazing in how much they are willing to help out with anything and everything. They are very smart and very passionate about what they do. It is fun to meet them and work with them. The Kellogg alumni at MS are especially helpful and nice.

2. Networking/Company Culture
    The company encourages a lot of networking and exchange of information. It allows you to meet people from other groups and learn about their projects. It is nice to know that the work you're doing does not stay in a vacuum and that you are able to leverage other people's knowledge and best practices, so that you're not spinning your wheels.

3. Opportunities
    It is encouraged to rotate and spend 16 - 18 months with different groups and doing different things, so it gives everyone a great opportunity to network within the company and try different things.

Cons

1. Team Culture
    My team had an intense culture, due to all being ex-consultants and due to working on the strategy of the flagship product. It was a different culture than I expected and was therefore disappointed. However, I did enjoy working and collaborating with them. It was more of a personality and style issue. So my advice would be to interview the team as they are interviewing you during the second round.

2. Size of the Company
    The company felt really big and it felt like it could swallow someone who was not doing the "right" things (e.g. networking constantly, changing jobs every 18 months, working intensely on side projects, etc.). I felt like it added an extra step on the responsibilities that came with the job.

3. Seattle
    Seattle was a fun city to be over the summer. However, I could not see myself living there over the long term. It felt too small and much less urban than I had imagined.

Advice to Management

I wish there was closer monitoring of managers who are already known to be "difficult" when interns are assigned to them. I don't know if this would be through GMs or the HR contacts, but I've found it to be necessary.