Microsoft - Lower Expectations | Glassdoor

"Lower Expectations"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Redmond, WA

Pros

Microsoft is a giant company with ample resources and opportunity.

Cons

Microsoft has great potential as an emplyee centric company but seems to place higher value on sales and market expansion than providing positive motivation for the talent that produces its products.

Advice to Management

New goal: Say "thank you" in person to someone each day.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"A Company In Decline"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Redmond, WA

Pros

Still lots of very smart people, huge opportunity for impact given breadth of product portfolio, great opportunities to interact with customers.

Cons

Immense volume of politics, and very few senior people do what's actually right for the company and customers, choosing instead to do what's right for them and their career. Every CVP runs their own empire, and tries to build that empire at the expense of other execs. And our SLT, our Presidents, seem to have zero interest in working with each other to deliver truly compelling customer scenarios.

Advice to Management

We've wasted so many opportunities as a company: we had the lead in mobile and blew it, we had the tablet PC and knew the iPad was coming and did nothing due to politics, we had Windows Media Center and didn't innovate only to see Android now take the lead in working with TV OEMs, we invested billions in XBox only to end up with no coherent consumer and living room strategy, we shipped a horrible product in Vista and destroyed our reputation, and we made one useless billion dollar acquisition after another (Great Plans and Navision, Danger, Tellme, etc.). Now we're the punching bag of the industry and Apple is the world's most valued company instead of us, while Android uses our own playbook (run by lots of ex-Microsofties) against us. Steve Ballmer either made the key decisions leading to this situation or was complicit in them. When is our Board going to live up to their responsibility and ask Steve to move on, along with Kevin Turner and at least some of our Presidents (including at least one of the new ones)? The time for change at the top is now.

"Ten years as FTE, 17 years overall"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Flexibility, stability, creativity and innovation (in this role)

Cons

Idiot managers, foolish PUMs and GMs that can't see the forest for the trees. The idiots get promoted to these levels (by majority) leaving the intellect and innovation in the weeds

Advice to Management

Listen to your folks, there are a lot of mid-level managers that don't know their head from their a#*#$&. The stupidity there is extraordinary. I'm fortunate to have great air cover, but if I had not, I would have bailed long ago. Time and experience does not necessarily make for good management.