Microsoft - I would definitely join the company if I grab a chance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

"I would definitely join the company if I grab a chance"

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Hyderabad (India)
Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Hyderabad (India)

Pros

One word - technologies. We are rapidly grabbing the whole space and we are doing a great job. For Windows Phone - we have made a huge leap and we are expecting much more.

Cons

It takes times to find your way but once you do, you would love it. Some get lucky with great managers and their career is much more focused.

Advice to Management

Every manager is unique. Unless you really know what you are doing , never become a manager as you affect the individual contributors career.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

"was once a great place to work"

Pros

still some pockets of good ppl.

Cons

was great now filled w/ lots of ppl who outsource the work, marketing that doesn't understand or have a passion for the technology and spend too much time competing with other parts of the company. Ballmer sets a terrible tone

Advice to Management

change out CEO, change approach to review

"It was always difficult, whether it was a multitude of management changes, too many meetings not enough selling time."

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

Pros

There are some really smart folks working there and it was great to put our heads together to solve customer challenges. There were many resources to draw from so it was possible to get things done.

Cons

Meetings, meetings and more meetings. Secret agendas. They had a policy of open and honest but it simply wasn't an open environment. I was told to spend 25% of my time on internal politics if I planned to move up the ladder. When you have to spend so much time watching your back...how do you successfully sell?

Advice to Management

Do away with annual reviews. Make your managers actually work with their teams on a monthly basis - get them away from their spread sheets and out into the field. Quit stack ranking people. It is actually possible to have two excellent folks on the same team...why penalize one of them? It is a very short sighted strategy.