Mid-South Community College - You will learn a lot. | Glassdoor

"You will learn a lot."

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in West Memphis, AR
Current Employee - Paraprofessional in West Memphis, AR

I have been working at Mid-South Community College part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many wonderful people at the company that make working there a pleasure. There's definitely a strong sense of culture. Additionally, working in the field of education provides so much personal fulfilment.

Cons

The pay isn't too good so if you plan to work here, you really have to be passionate about what you're doing. Also, there aren't any benefits for part-time workers. Because it's an educational institute, there are several days a year when you are off work for holiday purposes. If you're part-time, you don't get paid, and this is detrimental to those of us who have responsibilities. I have been in my department for more than four years, and I have yet to receive a raise though I am always applauded on my excellent contributions to the department.

Advice to Management

Make sure to implement a morale program. It is essential that your associates are happy because they work directly with the clients. Discontentment among employees can, unfortunately, be expressed in their interaction with clients. If you treat your employees as if they're important, then they will go far and beyond to make sure that your department/organization is a success.

Other Employee Reviews for Mid-South Community College

1. "Diesel Instructor"

I worked at Mid-South Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching was a great career knowing that i am helping others establish a career that they can feed their family.

Cons

Teaching previous employees or as i say a know it all..

2. "Computer Technician"

Former Employee - Computer Technician
    Former Employee - Computer Technician

I worked at Mid-South Community College full-time

Pros

Great Co-workers, Exposed to many different technologies, Relaxed environment, and flexible work schedule. Family atmosphere within the department, and between many departments.

Cons

Favoritism is rampant here. It effects your pay scale, your assignments, your credentials, and how you're treated. The pay is absolutely awful. If you're not one of the favorites of a VP, or director, don't expect anything with raises. I waited 8 months for a raise, and was constantly told "I'm working on it." or "Give me a bit more time to talk to the President." I worked here for years, and never received more than a 1-3% cost of living raise twice. The day before I leave, I find they're giving my replacement, with no prior experience a 12% increase in pay over mine. It's very mismanaged and as long as you don't care about the low pay, you're considered a good employee.

Advice to Management

Look into average pay scales for each position. Position pay is extremely outdated, and someone that has responsibilities of Help Desk, Network Engineer, and a Systems administrator deserves more than the pay of an Administrative assistant.

Look into department heads, watch out for favoritism. It's everywhere.