Milestone Internet Marketing - Please read if you're considering this company. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Milestone Internet Marketing

"Please read if you're considering this company."

Current Employee - Account Manager/E Strategist
Current Employee - Account Manager/E Strategist

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a casual dress code, which was a nice change for me to get used to. You work in a cubicle, so if you don't like talking to people in a customer service/retail environment, this is a good job.

Cons

Like many, I read the reviews on here and thought to myself "maybe there are just some very disgruntled employees who are just looking for someone/something to blame for the problems going on in their own life." Oh how wrong I was.

Training. Or, lack there of should I say. You watch 5 minute long videos that go through a procedure extremely fast, and then at the end, you are expected to know it inside and out. Give me a break. If this company invested even half the money they use in their ridiculously high turn over rate into the training and education of the job, it would be much different. The very first day I started, every single person told me "you're going to be overwhelmed for quite a while". Call me old fashion, but any job that offers proper training/guidance would never make anyone feel that way. If you want your associates to stay for the long term, start them off on the right foot; NOT with the idea that they made a huge mistake.

The President is on a major power trip. She wants to be included in on every single little thing. Which, at first I thought was an admirable quality that someone that high up wants to be involved. However, I realized shortly there after, it's not because she wants to help, she just wants to make the decisions for you. In my experience, I think it's great when a President wants to know what's going on. But, there's a fine line of wanting to know, and telling the associates how to do their job every second. Give the employees some leeway to make decisions for themselves, and stop baby sitting. I remember sitting in on a mandatory meeting, and all that was discussed is that "there were going to be more meetings"...really? We had a meeting to say there's going to be more meetings? An e-mail would suffice in my opinion, but then again, that's just me.

Company bonus? Hah! That's funny. Why? Because I have been given three entirely different answers on how the bonus structure works. Let's be honest here; a bonus is a huge incentive for anyone to work at a company since it seems to be more uncommon these days. However, if you're receiving a different answer every time you ask about it, there's clearly a lack in communication. And for something as simple as how a bonus structure works through out the company (not something like "what would you do in this situation?"), that says a lot about how important (or unimportant) consistency and communication are.

Don't bother going to upper management on how to improve procedures and work environments for associates. I stopped trying to talk to them when I heard the president say " I love hearing from employees; if you have an idea that improves efficiency for our clients or revenue I'm all ears." Now, don't get me wrong, it's all about revenue for any business. However, what about the happiness of your employees? The work load? Balance? Training? As Bill Marriott once said; take care of your employees and they will take care of the customers. This simple, yet brilliant thought, is ignored. Which, leads me to my next point.

The president LOVES to change everything, all the time. Every week (I wish I was exaggerating), I would have trouble locating certain files on the shared internet drive, because they were always switching things around. For whatever reason, she (as in the President), loves to reinvent the wheel. She loves fixing things that are not broken, rather than looking at where the real issues are. As mentioned previously, she loves hearing from associates on how to make things more efficient for customers. However, she fails to recognize that rearranging everything, all the time, and making changes to things that are not broken, creates inefficiency in of itself for associates, thus resulting with lowered results for the customers.

Like many, I was very very naive when reading the reviews on here. But please, PLEASE reconsider before starting here. 37 reviews of prior/current associates giving this company an overall score of 2.6, with only 41% willing to recommend to a friend, speaks volume. This company can sell you very well on how much of a good idea it is to work for them, how great of an experience it is, everything they have accomplished, etc. From a consumer standpoint, they are great. From an employee stand point, stay away. What you learn from here, you can easily learn in any book or web forum if you tried hard enough.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates about how it is to work for you. If you took half of the reviews on here seriously, you would cut your turnover rate in half, and have a much prouder staff. I firmly believe this review will fall on deaf ears. My hope is for potential prospects to take this review, as well as all the others, seriously.

Other Employee Reviews for Milestone Internet Marketing

"Lack of Professionalism, Ethics and Morals"

Pros

It’s true - the company invests a lot in their trainings; workers have the opportunity to gain much knowledge in a short amount of time. Yet this seems like a clear prerequisite. The high cost of the company’s turnover, is balanced by the low cost, inexperienced labor it employs. The average E strategist is a recent graduate, lacking industry background, earning an annual salary in the mid 40’s. This perhaps, may be another “pro” for the company; they only hire a particular demographic, ensuring you will be working amongst your peers - but few, outlast a year.

Cons

There are many! But I will highlight several high-level ones, as the change in these would lead to significant boost in employee morale, and ultimately, better the company in the long run.
    The executive team focuses more on employee interactions, then their job performance. Customer satisfaction and employee dedication, do not overshadow the office politics that are clearly displayed amongst the executive team and high level staff. Behavior is constantly under scrutiny and the appreciation for your 50 hour work week is not existent.
    Adding to this environment is the unrealistic account load endured by all team members. Few are able to apply much of what they learn, as they are expected to manage up to 50 accounts at a time. Not sure how it is today, but this overload led to many cancellations end of last year.

Advice to Management

1. Lead by example – Promote teamwork and positivity through actions; offer reinforcement and steer clear of trivial matters.
    2. Practice what you preach –Apply user sentiment to grow the company; reduce turnover and retain the great talent you’ve acquired.
    3. Put your customer First – It’s a no brainer, a happy employee performs better! Focus on the work at hand, and avoid irrelevant factors.

"I'm doing well for myself"

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

I have a lot to be thankful for. The company has taught me a whole lot about SEO, social, PPC, local, organic, and everything else in between. There’s a lot of opportunity for growth. Now that I’ve moved up from account management to management, everything from my MBA makes sense. (I knew that second degree would be worth it!)

To clarify, many reviewers highlight the work overload. To some, it’s true. But to others, it’s totally manageable. If you look at the bigger picture, the world of SEO moves fast. The small business world (especially that in Silicon Valley) also moves fast. Milestone being one of the more successful ones is an anomaly given the average life span of most start ups. Understand that you’re entering a world of things moving fast. So duh, there will be a lot of stuff to do. Now, successful account managers take on the challenges, learn, grow, and manage themselves well. (That amount of work doesn’t seem so big anymore, and the account managers become experts in their own rights.) Not successful ones burnout, leave, and resort to venting on Glassdoor. Not to say that the latter are incapable people at heart; they could have very well worked hard but under an ineffective manager. However, many of the successful employees, like myself, have since moved up into management. The ineffective managers were replaced with ones who know very well what it’s like to be on the front line. That has fostered a higher degree of skill, support, guidance, and mentorship.

With that said, a growing company will always have growing pains. There will be reports, meetings, emails, phone calls, ups and downs. The most successful account managers are the ones who don’t sweat the small things and continue to develop themselves well after the 3-month introductory period. I advise: just take the coaching, relax, and keep evolving. Account managers are given the tools and training to be their own successes. Sky’s the limit from that point. And from my own experience, the rewards are very good and lucrative.

Cons

Not so much nowadays but the recruitment process was lacking for a bit. I think in the past, we’ve hired people way too early in their careers. The most successful account managers tend to have a few years of work experience under their belts. They understand both the small business / start up environment, and their own professional goals and work ethic. They also come in knowing aspects of related industries so not everything is totally new and daunting. The personalities that work out the best are entrepreneurial in nature; they can see the benefit of investing time instead of seeking immediate gratification by means of entitlement.

PS. If you’re reading this, and considering applying, do take any review with a grain of salt. Glassdoor is like any other review website. The most spiteful reviewers will be the loudest. The most complimentary reviewers may not be posting at all (mostly because they have nothing to vent about). It’s almost like you finding a restaurant on Yelp that had 3 stars. You're hesitant but you decide to try it anyway. And to your surprise, your experience isn't so bad. In fact, it may have actually been good. Then you think, “Wait a minute. All the reviews said it was supposed to suck.” ... well, my friend, just because the bad reviews are loud doesn’t make them accurate.