Millennial Media - Where common sense goes to die. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Millennial Media

"Where common sense goes to die."

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are pockets of smart, talented and inventive people who want to make a difference and do amazing things. The culture created by the employees is strong, far stronger than the one the company tries to push.

Cons

Poor communication internally, even non-existent at times.
Utter lack of direction since the merger. There has been zero integration plan to date. No one is taking responsibility either which is baffling to see at the senior exec level. Where is the accountability?
Engineers are leaving in record numbers, can't get necessary work done to operate efficiently or potentially scale. There is a general inability to attract solid talent which is a vicious cycle. We have far more attrition than anyone can keep up with.
The identity of the company since the merger seems in question. The Baltimore HQ no longer has the weight it used to but those here haven't fully recognized that.
Career pathing isn't a focus in most orgs. It depends on the individual managers to make something out of nothing in that regard. Be more aggressive about cutting the under performers. There are too many hanging on and being mediocre and it's poisoning the environment for those who perform.

Advice to Management

Get an integration plan before you lose any more good talent. Give employees a reason to be invested in the company. Show more interest in the employees. Truly create a culture of accountability and let common sense rule. Execs need to take responsibility for the missteps thus far and show a strategic plan moving forward.

Other Employee Reviews for Millennial Media

"Could be great but lacking leadership"

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with some really nice people. Flexible with hours.

Cons

Communication throughout the company is not good. Direction and leadership is poor. Continually ask for work from my manager and get nothing. I am told I am doing a great job, but feel that I am completely underutilized.

"Great place to work!"

Pros

I've been at Millennial Media for two years. Before my move to Millennial, I worked closely with dozens of different companies. After getting to know many different companies well, and from my two years here, I can honestly say that I believe Millennial is one of the best places to work. That is why I chose to work here, and why I’m still here.

In the states, the main locations are Baltimore (HQ), Boston, San Francisco, DC, and New York. The offices have large and open work spaces, and all have a modern and somewhat techy feel to them. The company throws outings to sports games and local venues, has big holiday parties and catered events throughout the year, holds company hackmatches, has fruit, drinks, and gaming areas throughout the offices, and participates in tons of local charity events. They even took over a restaurant and bar next to the headquarters in Baltimore where people can hang out, work, and take advantage of the daily free breakfast buffet. The dress code is casual; wear whatever you want as long as it’s not offensive. They are having the team that built Under Armour’s headquarters design and build out a huge modern office addition to the Baltimore location in the next few months.

I think the company is 600+ people right now. Throughout technology we have people who are active in the community and do development in their spare time. Many of us have side start-ups, apps, etc. To me, that’s the type of engineer you want to be around, innovate and passionate. I’ve seen hard work pay off through a bunch of internal transfers and promotions. We have leadership from all over who are well connected and hands-on in driving the company forward in their different business units. As in any large environment some people have different opinions on how things should be done, and though it can be frustrating at times, I’d rather be in a company where people challenge each other with progressive ideas and new technologies than one where people just go with the flow. People at Millennial are friends. Maybe it’s because there have been so many referrals, but there are close groups in all of the offices.

I love the industry we’re in, love that we are encouraged to explore and develop new technologies, and think the future is bright here.

Cons

The company itself has been pretty much doubling in size every year for the past 3 - 4 years. Sure, there have been some growing pains through taking the company public and through acquisitions, but to me the pros vastly out way the cons.