Milwaukee Tool - Good people, poor work environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Milwaukee Tool

"Good people, poor work environment"

Former Employee - Manager in Brookfield, WI
Former Employee - Manager in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Tool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Company has a good ability to attract strong talent
-Young / fast-paced environment

Cons

-Low compensation
-Long work hours expected, 60+ hours per week regularly
-Minimal benefits
-Fear / Intimidation management techniques
-Upward mobility is not related to performance, purely subjective based on upper management
-Overall a turn-and-burn company

Advice to Management

-Increase compensation to meet the market expectations, it is not 2008 where you are in a position of power while hiring.
-Empower your employees to be able to make their own decisions and encourage senior management to stand behind them

Other Employee Reviews for Milwaukee Tool

"Unsure of the future of the company"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Tool full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been there for decades and have built up a nice vacation package but they implemented vacation caps, punishing all long term employees.

Cons

The allocations for the battery test lab is always up in the air. On one hand the company publically touts themselves as being a world leader in Lithium Ion battery and cell technology but behind closed doors we have to delay critical battery testing several times each week since there is no test lab area dedicated for testing. This is the norm and has been going on for years.

The company does not hesitate to spend large amounts to make a new marketing area or remodel an area as into a showplace to take our distributors around on tours, but when it comes to the core technical areas, testing required for product development you would swear the company is bankrupt. We lost our best battery engineer several years ago in one of the many layoffs / management power struggles and the quality just has never been the same, we have never recovered.

Advice to Management

I am sure you got bonuses and respectable raises, across the board when you cut bonuses and gave 1% raises in a record growth sales years it hurt the moral and I believe it will never recover, no matter how many young kids you keep bringing ion to replace the experienced veterans.

Batteries are the future of the company, a fundamental and a critical part of our products and future. Someone needs to man-up and make a serious commitment to the labs and invest in a battery test lab. It is unrealistic to think you can achieve for long the level of growth when a company is run like this from the top.

Please save the money you waste on us with knee-jerk, band-aid fixes for the low moral, such as fishing and kayak trips, and invest in a battery test lab. We would much rather have a safe and productive lab environment, that would eliminate much of the low moral and toxicity that has permeated the labs.

"Disappointing company - compensation to their hardest working and most committed employees decreasing every year."

Current Employee - Engineering in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Engineering in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Tool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has been growing and increasing sales, but it has been through selling cheaper outsourced foreign hand tools.

Cons

We are required to come in early and work late and field 10pm conference calls with China. Upper management pushes us for more and more every day. So we every day work our buts off and sacrifice time from our families, overall the pay and bonuses were the worst I have ever seen here. They had a record sales year, and the pay and bonuses were the worst, workers are really disappointed with how the company had been going backwards in their compensation to their hardest working and most committed employees.

The company wastes a lot of time with poor communications from the top down. It is just too common to have duplicate efforts on the same work. We spends hours everyday in useless meeting and you look around and everyone is just surfing the internet on phones.

Expect to be ignored if you try and say good morning to any upper management when you pass them in the halls. They act as if you do not exist and bury their noses into their phone texts to ignore you. Management has missed the mark and they are ingrained as being dysfunctional in the company. But they are so focused on the bottom line they completely miss reality.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that not just senior management likes bonuses. The rest of us that worked long hours than management and sacrificed family time were completely forgotten. Some of the best workers there are treated and compensated as they do not exist.