Minted - A Growing Experience | Glassdoor

"A Growing Experience"

Former Employee - Operations/Social Media Marketing in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Operations/Social Media Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about Minted was having the opportunity to grow and learn WITH the company. Having been a part of the core team from the very start, I had the unique experience of helping a seedling grow into a beautiful garden - and as the company grew, my skill set became much more advanced. The people are really what make Minted special. They are incredibly hardworking, dedicated and passionate. Most are willing to share their knowledge - to foster growth, creativity and success and it is those people that make coming into the office and working toward a collaborative goal worthwhile.

Cons

My skill set may have improved dramatically over the past few years but unfortunately my overall feelings of value generally stayed about level. Most people who have spent any time in Operations during Q4 may express disdain, however I have always appreciated a good challenge and tend to thrive under pressure. Often the pressure was too much for executives who had joined our team as leaders and it was not always easy to help hire, train and learn to respect someone you knew would eventually be leaving anyway.

Advice to Management

Continue, as you are, to foster growth within the company. Consider those who have dedicated much of themselves over the years equally as valuable as those who are bringing new, immediate results to the table.

Other Employee Reviews for Minted

"On-call design assembly line"

Former Contractor - Design Associate in Oakland, CA
    Former Contractor - Design Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll be treated like an on-call "designer." I use the word designer loosely--you'll mostly be fixing customers' backlit photos, adjusting the text on their proofs so that it's centered, and adding a stroke to all potentially-hard-to-read fonts so that the card will print better. Customers submit pre-designed templates they've customized using Minted's browser software, and you fix their "mistakes." As you can see, this job can become very monotonous after a few days. The important thing is hitting target numbers; every employee is expected to hit 40 proofs a day and have a 85% quality control approval rate.

You'll get a few confirmed shifts, and some pending ones every week. You won't know that it's confirmed til 9pm the night before. You can expect to work weekends, unless you want to work less than 40 hours a week.

The hours can be very erratic. During peak season (holidays, Easter, wedding season), you'll be able to work 40 hours a week. When this rush dies down (as it will in February, for example) you may go a week without having a confirmed shift.

It's a great job if you're looking to make some extra cash during the holiday season or if you're just starting out your design career. Other than that, there's not a lot of room for growth. You could eventually become a design lead and make $1 more. And maybe, just maybe, if you're lucky become a "design associate trainer" if the current one steps down.

There are no benefits. Your contract will get extended every 3-6 months. You are 1099'd, yet treated like a regular employee. So, take that as you will.

On the plus side, you do get to look at lots of pictures of cute babies and Pinterest-friendly designs all day. And most of the people you work with are pretty great.

Cons

Erratic hours, no room for growth, monotonous and tedious

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better.

"Design Robot"

Former Contractor - Seasonal Design Associate in Oakland, CA
    Former Contractor - Seasonal Design Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I trained with was very talented, helpful, kind and professional. All of the design leads were great. Truly nice folks. Pretty organized. Nice office. *Free snacks, coffee. (*I don't care about stuff like free food personally-it's a red flag that they'll "own" you when that's a selling point - imo naturally-that's just me)

Cons

You're a design robot doing repetitive tasks which is only okay for a short time. Work quick or you're not getting work. Somewhat misleading as to how many hours you will actually work. Zero chance of full-time opportunities. Didn't get the sense that full-timers in design were super happy. There were significant issues with final print quality of product which is a big concern. Low pay.

Advice to Management

After two stints seasonally I really don't know what they could do to make it better. It is what it is. Lots of orders that need to get out quick.