MobileIron - Needs improvement in engineering team and culture | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MobileIron

"Needs improvement in engineering team and culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time

Pros

The company has grown very fast in last 18 months. The company is in the right sector for growth. There are some small teams in Engineering who enjoy work, are productive and work well with each other.
Abundant food in the kitchen - people who want to work for long long hours can do it happily.

Cons

In engineering team, the company has too many directors and managers. Currently, there is a government job like culture, introduced by some directors. There are multiple manual QA teams and they do not understand software concepts. I can't think of any fast growing company in the silicon valley that does manual QA these days.

The CEO compares MobileIron to game changing companies like Salesforce.com, splunk, FireEye - but they should also see if they are comparable in terms of engineering culture, teams, etc.

Apart from the engineering, the workplace is small for the entire engineering team. There is no true table and chair for everyone, noisy and difficult to get work done. Feel like I can work better remotely from home.

Advice to Management

Make it a flat team structure. Follow the lead set by other great companies in the valley in terms of engineering process.

MobileIron Response

Jun 2, 2015 – Director of Talent

Thank you for your feedback. We are definitely working to improve going forward. As we've recently announced we just leased a new building for our engineering team to move into and we are working ... More

Other Employee Reviews for MobileIron

"Great place to work but beware of internal ego clashes"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA

I worked at MobileIron as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the better companies to work in the bay area. Very competitive engineers which can be both a pro and a con depending on your position.

Cons

Too much politics. Too many ego clashes are seen between engineers. They seem to overemphasize and overdo code reviews resulting in an ugly slug fest sometimes wasting everyones time. Also there seems to be some tension between several teams esp amongst the managers because of this. The Engineering culture needs to improve.

Advice to Management

Need to concentrate on delivering a quality product on time. Cut the politics and listen to your employees.

2. "Fast paced, bright coworkers, great opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MobileIron is a fast growing company in the valley and you get to work in the area of mobility, which is poised to truly transform the way we live in work over the next several years. The company has landed some seriously marquee customers (Barclays, Discovery Communications, Toyota) which means you get to work on complex, interesting, real world problems. Free food, drinks (adult and normal), flexible work schedules and strong ESPP program round out the employee benefits.

Cons

The company has not always been best at promoting from within. You need to be assertive with your management to move up in the organization, simply executing won't move you forward necessarily. Also, the facilities could use some freshening up, offices physically don't have the hip, fun atmosphere that other valley companies do and certainly don't match the excitement of the people working inside them.

MobileIron Response

Aug 14, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for you comments! Yes, we are definitely working on career progression plans for all employees. We want to absolutely recognize our star contributors to the Company's success. The ... More