MobilityWare - Yay MobilityWare!!! | Glassdoor

"Yay MobilityWare!!!"

Current Employee - Game Artist in Irvine, CA
Current Employee - Game Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at MobilityWare. The culture is awesome - free lunch on Fridays, unlimited PTO, no dress clothes, and everyone is really nice. I don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy coming to work. Even if something upsets them at the moment, they still say that MobilityWare is the best company they've ever worked for (and I'm talking about even those who worked for Disney).

Privately owned. Don't have to worry about getting laid off in masses if you don't please your public shareholders.

Trying to tap into different markets beyond just Solitaire.

Cons

No AAA titles. (This might be OK since we don't have to worry about failing the shareholders.)

Slow to ship games. Solitaire is their big money maker, along with BlackJack and a couple new games they recently acquired, so there is no huge consequence if we don't ship the game on time. I know they want to, and we do discuss this repeatedly. Right now, it seems more like - do we make the game perfect or ship it. Always seems to be revisions and then the release date gets pushed back.

Advice to Management

Before starting on another project, research the game you want to make before designing to save headaches - get the right people who know how the game works on the team at the beginning. (I know you've hired people to fix this already. :) This is just retrospective.)

Other Employee Reviews for MobilityWare

1. "Great company!"

I worked at MobilityWare full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my time there and thought it was a wonderful place to work with smart and easy people to collaborate with!

Cons

Their team has been slow to innovate and create any successful titles outside of their golden egg suite of Solitaire apps. They can't rest on their laurels!

"People First, Product Second"

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time

Pros

As the title would suggest, Mobilityware really does put its people and culture first. The benefits and pay are great, they do a lot to really treat their workers (parties, company trips, etc.), and not surprisingly have a wealth of talented people in their employ as a result.

The company is privately owned and has a golden egg (Solitaire) that keeps them from ever worrying about deadlines, on any project. Crunching is unheard of, and work pace is steady at its fastest.

Cons

Prioritizing everyone's happiness results in very little discipline for people who are actually terrible workers, leaving others to pick up the slack (though again, this is not an issue since there is zero urgency to actually get anything done).

Game and product design don't seem to follow an actual strategy-- just copy a random successful mobile game and rejoice wildly if it makes even a cent (and if it doesn't, just shrug and make another copy).

As a result most of the games are barely fun or interesting, but Solitaire will always keep the lights on, so making boring unsuccessful games doesn't really matter to them.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the security Solitaire affords you and come up with something really amazing, innovative, and actually FUN so that your employees can take pride in the product they are working on.