Moda Health - Career Growth Friendly, but you have to bust your behind! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Moda Health

"Career Growth Friendly, but you have to bust your behind!"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Moda Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Growth Potential and Benefits

Cons

Salary needs to be on par with current market

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Moda Health

1. "Customer svc claims trainer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Moda Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazingly flexible. Work from home, flex schedule. Supportive management, great benefits

Cons

Low salary ,wish their were more education benefits . No travel opportunities

Advice to Management

Pay should be competitive

Moda Health Response

Nov 30, 2017 – HR Manager

We appreciate your taking the time to provide feedback about your experience at Moda Health. At Moda, we believe our employees should have the ability to make their own hours when they are in a role... More

2. "Be prepared to live by the motto: “Be Better”!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Moda Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It’s been a few months now that I’ve left Moda, and I didn’t know it was possible to still feel such fondness for a former employer.

I learned so much about people and business during my time at Moda, and all of those lessons are still valid in my current role- they will be in future roles, too. People at Moda let you know who they are right away- you can either see it in their manner, or in the quality of work they produce. Moda is geared toward, “toot your own horn all you like, but at the end of the day, it’s the quality of your work that counts”. Moda taught me how to really read between the lines- helpful when half your (and everyone’s) job is translating policies.

Moda takes its responsibility as a steward of its members and their premium dollars seriously- I have genuinely seen my coworkers do good. I’ve seen them (at all levels) go past breaks, lunches, or the time they were supposed to go home, to finish helping a member, provider, or coworker make sense of a policy, premium, or claim. (Folks still got their time, don’t worry)

Most places have people call in who complain; Moda has people who call in to compliment- such a huge cultural shift working at Moda!

As with all organizations, there can be a few bad/sour/okay apples, but like with all organizations, it’s how you handle them that matters- some of those redeemable apples still have value, you only have to consider, “what problems are solved by this person?” It may not be readily apparent, but if you have patience, you can find out- not every apple may be personable, but they get the job done.

Moda is very good at handling all kinds of apples, and allowing you to learn from a mistake- but they’re also very good at reminding you that you need to take ownership of your actions, and thereby enabling you to take ownership of your own success...or otherwise. Accountability is key, and you won’t get far here without it. The camaraderie is tangible, and real.

Moda is a smaller northwest-centric company that does more with less- smaller than the big guys, but the scope of service and what they can do is huge. This can be a bit stressful for those lacking coping skills, but either you develop them (there are those here who can help), or you don’t. Moda employees are very loyal to the brand, and it can be a little off-putting if you’re not used to that, but it’s okay, you’re in a safe place. Just go with it, or ask respectful questions if you don’t understand.

Bottom line? The pay is a little less (honesty time), but many people have taken pay-cuts just to come to Moda- that’s not kool-aid-infused hot air; I’ve seen it, over and over. It’s meaningful and important work, and there are those perks.

Be prepared to work hard, get involved, and invest in the experience! There are loads of social, volunteer, and community-based opportunities! Perks! Another thing to remember: well-researched and thought-out ideas attached to plans are welcomed; griping and complaining without offering a solution is not- venting is okay with the right audience- this is universal!

Moda lives and learns by its motto: “Be Better.”, so take note.

Cons

You may not always understand why certain choices are made by management, and some managers are better at communicating than others; I was very lucky, but it would be nice to see more managers following the example of better communication where possible.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do well, and remember there are people who come in fresh (or who’ve been there forever and forgot) who might not know what you’re about, why you do what you do, or why you’re so passionate. Remind them.

Moda Health Response

Nov 30, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to share feedback about your experience at Moda Health. We are glad to hear that your experience was that we truly work to Be Better! We agree that our... More